Subject: QUAKE: Pointer to rec.games.computer.quake.*
From: [email-masked] (Raphael Quinet)
Newsgroups: alt.games.quake,rec.games.computer.quake.misc

Greetings, fellow Quake players!

If you are looking for more information and discussions about Quake, I
suggest that you subscribe to the following six groups which are
dedicated to Quake:

 rec.games.computer.quake.announce Info/FAQ/announcements about Quake. (Mod.)
 rec.games.computer.quake.editing  Editing and hacking Quake-related files.
 rec.games.computer.quake.misc     General discussion about Quake.
 rec.games.computer.quake.playing  Playing Quake and user-created levels.
 rec.games.computer.quake.quake-c  Modifying Quake with Quake-C.
 rec.games.computer.quake.servers  Setup and maintainance of servers.

The .announce, .editing and .misc groups were created in January 1996,
followed by the .playing and .servers groups in May and the latest
addition, the .quake-c group, in October.  These different groups
provide new places in which specific topics can be discussed, thus
evening out the traffic.  Make sure that your news server carries all
of them, so that you do not miss any information related to Quake.  If
any of them is missing, a simple request to your local news
administrator should be enough to have it created on your server.

The .announce group is moderated in order to ensure that the
information posted there is accurate; the other groups are not
moderated, so you are free to post anything you want in these groups.
However, it would be most polite to follow the charters of these
groups, i.e. your articles should be related to Quake and no binaries
should be posted there (use alt.binaries.games.quake instead).

The old group, alt.games.quake, should not be used anymore because it
has a spotty propagation: many sites have never created it (some of
them do not carry any alt.* group) and some others have removed it
when it was replaced by the new Quake groups.  As a result, many Quake
players cannot read the articles which are posted in a.g.q and would
be deprived from any information posted there.  If you post an article
in the old group, you are effectively preventing some Quake players
from accessing this information.  So please use only the new groups.

For more information, read the articles titled "FAQ: replacement of
a.g.q by rec.games.computer.quake.*" and "[TIP] How to move to
rec.games.computer.quake.*", which are posted periodically in the
Quake groups.  These articles are also available for download:

  ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/idgames2/docs/rgcq-pips/agqr_faq
  ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/idgames2/docs/rgcq-pips/agqm_tip

If you are using a WWW browser, you can get an HTML version of these
articles:

  http://www.cdrom.com/pub/idgames2/docs/faqs/agqr_faq.html
  http://www.cdrom.com/pub/idgames2/docs/faqs/agqm_tip.html

This article will be re-posted periodically, in order to inform new
readers.  If you have already read this article and you don't want to
see it again, you can simply add its subject line to your killfile (if
your newsreader supports this feature).  The subject of this article
will always be the same in order to make it easier for you to skip it
automatically.

Note: if you are reading this article from r.g.c.q.misc where it is
cross-posted, please ignore it (better yet, put its subject in your
killfile).  It is necessary to cross-post it because it wouldn't be
propagated correctly if it was posted only to a.g.q.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright (C) 1996-97 by Raphael Quinet <[email-masked]>.  You are allowed
(and encouraged) to distribute verbatim copies of this article, on FTP or WWW
sites.  If you want to distribute a modified copy, please get in touch with
me first.                                      Last update: 02 February 1997.