Subject: Quake FAQ 2.0 (part 1 of 3)
From: [email-masked] (Toby Goldstone)
Newsgroups: rec.games.computer.quake.announce,rec.games.computer.quake.misc

r        'm
   d          ^b
  $            '$                        e                  d
 JF             4r     $$     $E        4$L         9$    :P       $$   `$
 $L             J$     $$     $k        F`$.        d$  .$"        $$
 R$             $L     $$     $F       @  $$        9$*'*$$.       $$*
 '$F    3$F    @$      $$     $F      J" `"$N       @$    ^$L      $$
  `$i   4$r  .dE       '$    .$      xF     $L      9$      $      "$    :$
    *$$$@$b@$$"          '" ^                               '        "`'"
      ^"*$P"
        '$r            T H E    U N O F F I C I A L    Q U A K E    F A Q 
         $
         $             By Toby Goldstone
         *

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Unofficial Quake FAQ - version 2.0 (First full release)
By Toby Goldstone        - [email-masked]

Submissions to the FAQ   - [email-masked]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

===========================================================================
Additions/updates in this version of the UQFAQ
===========================================================================
 - Out of beta! The UQFAQ is now at version 2.0. Thanks to everyone who
   helped me get this off the ground, and to everyone who sent me
   corrections. Also thanks to all the contributors to the FAQ.
   Thank you to Tom Wheely for letting me use his FAQ, and to Joost Schuur
   for letting me use sections of his (now dead) www site 'Aftershock' in 
   this FAQ. Thanks to Kyle R. Hofmann for his 'Quake Shareware secrets 
   FAQ', the people of Stomped for the registered Quake secrets, Michael 
   Montgomery for his console commands list, and Nathan Rice for his 
   'Guide to excellent Quakematch'. Thanks also to the people of the 
   rec.computer.games.quake.support mailing list for lots of help on lots 
   of stuff.
 - Decided to nuke the entire files section. This section took me ages to
   compile, but in the long run I have a feeling that its going to be more
   trouble than it's worth. I can see myself listing every QuakeC patch out
   there... I don't want to do that as you can probably imagine.
 - Multiplayer information. One of the biggest (and possibly the most
   important) sections in the FAQ.
===========================================================================

Disclaimer:
     This FAQ is for the use of people who play Quake by id Software. The
author of this FAQ (and all contributors) can in no way be responsible for
anything you do after reading this FAQ. This FAQ guarantees *nothing* at
all. All of the information in this FAQ could be complete crap. You decide.

Trademarks:
     Quake and DOOM are trademarks of id software
     Windows is a trademark of Microsoft corporation
     OS/2 is a trademark of IBM
     Pentium is a trademark of Intel
     Duke Nukem 3D is a trademark of 3D Realms
     Terminator: Future Shock is a trademark of Betheseda Software Works
     Myst is a trademark of Broderbund Software

     NOTE: If a trademark isn't here please email me so it can be added. 
All trademarks (shown and not shown) are acknowledged.

Copyright:
     The Unofficial Quake FAQ is Copyright 1996 by Toby Goldstone. All 
rights reserved. You are granted the following rights:

I.   To make copies of this FAQ in original form, as long as
      (a) the copies are complete and are unaltered by anyone other than 
	    Toby Goldstone;
      (b) the copies are in electronic form;
      (c) they give credit to the author, Toby Goldstone.
II.  To distribute this work, under the provisions above, as long as
      (a) the copies are complete and are unaltered by anyone other than 
	    Toby Goldstone;
      (b) no fee is charged;
      (c) they give credit to the author, Toby Goldstone, in any 
	    description;
      (d) the distributed form is not in an electronic magazine or within
	    computer software;
      (e) the distributed form is the newest version of the FAQ (email the
	    author to find the latest version number);
      (f) the distributed form is electronic.

     You may NOT distribute this FAQ in *any* non-electronic media.
     You may NOT distribute this FAQ in any electronic magazine.
     You may NOT distribute this FAQ within computer software.

     NOTE: These rights are temporary, and may be revoked upon written, 
     oral, or other notice by Toby Goldstone. If you wish to distribute 
     this FAQ within a magazine or electronic magazine, get in touch with 
     the author.

     NOTE: Yes, I know this copyright is long-winded. Err, so there. 

Contents:

[1] Introduction
 
    The Unofficial Quake FAQ
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    [1-1] Foreword by the author
    [1-2] About the Unofficial Quake FAQ
	  [1-2-1] UK/US spelling issues
    [1-3] Getting the Unofficial Quake FAQ
	  [1-3-1] Via Usenet
	  [1-3-2] Via WWW
	  [1-3-3] Via FTP
	  [1-3-4] Via BBS
    [1-4] Submitting stuff to the Unofficial Quake FAQ
    [1-5] Who did the UQFAQ logo?
    [1-6] Acknowledgements

    Quake - the game
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    [1-10] How can I get Quake?
    [1-11] Where can I get Quake?
    [1-12] Where can I get the registered version of Quake?
	   [1-12-1] In the US
	   [1-12-2] In the rest of the world
    [1-13] How do I install Quake?
    [1-14] Where do people discuss Quake?
	   [1-13-1] Newsgroups
	   [1-13-2] Internet Relay Chat
    [1-15] Are there any Quake WWW pages?
    [1-16] What does Quake need to run?
	   [1-16-1] What about non-Intel processors?

[2] What's new?
    [2-1] Fully three-dimensional environment
    [2-2] You can move your head! And jump!
    [2-3] No action button
    [2-4] No map
    [2-5] Better network play
    [2-6] Internet play
    [2-7] More than two players over a modem
    [2-8] Traps and things...
    [2-9] Swimming
    [2-10] Better AI
    [2-11] New Weapons!

[3] Quake basics
    [3-1] The story so far...
    [3-2] The aim of the game
    [3-3] How do I select a skill level?
    [3-4] How do I select a dimension?
    [3-5] How do I move around in Quake?
	  [3-5-1] Can I use my mouse?
	  [3-5-2] Can I use my joystick?
	  [3-5-3] How do I walk around?
	  [3-5-4] How do I run?
	  [3-5-5] How do I shoot?
	  [3-5-6] How do I jump?
	  [3-5-7] How do I look up and down?
	  [3-5-8] How do I swim?
	  [3-5-9] How do I use stuff?
	  [3-5-10] How do I pick stuff up?
	  [3-5-11] How do I kill myself?
    [3-6] Finding things
	  [3-6-1] Switches and Floorplates
	  [3-6-2] Doors
	  [3-6-3] Secret Doors
	  [3-6-4] Platforms or Lifts
	  [3-6-5] Pressure Plates and Motion Detectors
    [3-7] Environmental hazards
	  [3-7-1] Explosions
	  [3-7-2] Water
	  [3-7-3] Slime
	  [3-7-4] Lave
	  [3-7-5] Traps
	  [3-7-6] Teleporters
    [3-8] What are the default Quake controls?
    [3-9] The Screen
	  [3-9-1] The View area
	  [3-9-2] The Inventory bar
	  [3-9-3] The Status bar
	  [3-9-4] The Score bar
    [3-10] How do I change the screen resolution?
    [3-11] Messages
    [3-12] Ending a level
    [3-13] Ending an episode

[4] The Main Menu
    [4-1] Single Player
        [4-1-1] New Game
        [4-1-2] Load
        [4-1-3] Save
    [4-2] Multiplayer
        [4-2-1] Join a Game
              [4-2-1-1] Modem
              [4-2-1-2] Direct Connect
              [4-2-1-3] IPX
              [4-2-1-4] TCP/IP
        [4-2-2] New Game
              [4-2-2-1] Modem
              [4-2-2-2] Direct Connect
              [4-2-2-3] IPX
              [4-2-2-4] TCP/IP
              [4-2-2-5] The OK bit
                      [4-2-2-5-1] Begin Game
                      [4-2-2-5-2] Maximum Players
                      [4-2-2-5-3] Game Type
                      [4-2-2-5-4] Teamplay
                      [4-2-2-5-5] Skill
                      [4-2-2-5-6] Frag Limit
                      [4-2-2-5-7] Time Limit
                      [4-2-2-5-8] Episode
                      [4-2-2-5-9] Level
        [4-2-3] Setup
    [4-3] Options
        [4-3-1] Customise keys...
        [4-3-2] Go to Console
        [4-3-3] Reset to defaults
        [4-3-4] Screen Size
        [4-3-5] Brightness
        [4-3-6] Mouse Speed
        [4-3-7] CD Music Volume
        [4-3-8] Sound Effects Volume
        [4-3-9] Always Run
        [4-3-10] Invert Mouse up/down
        [4-3-11] Lookspring
        [4-3-12] Lookstrafe
        [4-3-13] Video Options
    [4-4] Help/Ordering
    [4-5] Quit 

Game Elements
-------------
[5] Weapons
    [5-1] Axe
    [5-2] Shotgun
    [5-3] Double barrelled shotgun
    [5-4] Nailgun
    [5-5] Perferator
    [5-6] Grenade Launcher
    [5-7] Rocket Launcher
    [5-8] Thunderbolt

[6] Ammo and Power-ups
    [6-1] Shells
    [6-2] Flechettes
    [6-3] Grenades
    [6-4] Cells
    [6-5] Armour
    [6-6] Megahealth
    [6-7] Biosuit
    [6-8] Ring of Shadows
    [6-9] Pentagram of Protection
    [6-10] Quad Damage

[7] Monsters in Quake
    [7-1] Rottweiler
    [7-2] Grunt
    [7-3] *Enforcer
    [7-4] Knight
    [7-5] *Death Knight
    [7-6] *Rotfish
    [7-7] Zombie
    [7-8] Scrag
    [7-9] Ogre
    [7-10] *Spawn
    [7-11] Fiend
    [7-12] *Vore
    [7-13] Shambler

I need help playing Quake!
--------------------------
[8] Tables and Things
    [8-1] How much does it take to kill a certain Quake monster?
	  [8-1-1] Short Range
	  [8-1-2] Long Range
    [8-2] Weapon damage table

[9] What are the secret areas in Quake?
    [9-1] START: Introduction
    [9-2] E1M1: The Slipgate Complex
    [9-3] E1M2: Castle of the Damned
    [9-4] E1M3: The Necropolis
    [9-5] E1M4: The Grisly Grotto
    [9-6] E1M5: Gloom Keep
    [9-7] E1M6: The Door to Chthon
    [9-8] E1M7: The House of Chthon
    [9-9] E1M8: Ziggurat Vertigo
    [9-10] Contributors to section [9-1 to 9-9]
    [9-11] E2M1: The Installation
    [9-12] E2M2: The Ogre Citadel
    [9-13] E2M3: The Crypt of Decay
    [9-14] E2M7: Underearth (Secret Level)
    [9-15] E2M4: The Ebon Fortress
    [9-16] E2M5: The Wizard's Manse
    [9-17] E2M6: The Dismal Oubliette 
    [9-18] E3M1: Termination Central
    [9-19] E3M2: Vaults of Zin
    [9-20] E3M3: The Tomb of Terror
    [9-21] E3M4: Satan's Dark Delight
    [9-22] E3M7: The Haunted Halls (Secret Level)
    [9-23] E3M5: Wind Tunnels
    [9-24] E3M6: Chambers of Torment
    [9-25] E4M1: The Sewage System
    [9-26] E4M2: The Tower of Despair
    [9-27] E4M3: The Elder God Shrine
    [9-28] E4M4: The Palace of Hate
    [9-29] E4M5: Hell's Atrium
    [9-30] E4M8: The Nameless City (Secret Level)
    [9-31] E4M6: The Pain Maze
    [9-32] E4M7: Azure Agony
    
[10] Hints and Tips
     [10-1] How do I kill the boss on episode one?
     [10-2] How do I cheat?
     [10-3] How do I kill Shamblers?
     [10-4] Problems killing Scrags...

[11] Deathmatch tactics
     [11-1] Don't walk!
     [11-2] Don't taunt your opponent before hand
     [11-3] Develop Routine
     [11-4] Take up a good firing position before attacking
     [11-5] Know your opponent

[12] Cooperative tactics
     [12-1] Work together
     [12-2] Carnage!

[13] Zer0's guide to excellent Quakematch V.1
     [13-1] Llamah Stuff
     [13-2] The Weapons
     [13-3] The Artifacts
     [13-4] Player Archetypes
     [13-5] The Levels
     [13-6] Your Config
     [13-7] Who to look out for
     [13-8] Teams
     [13-9] Reach out and frag someone
     [13-10] Outro

Technical Stuff
---------------
[14] Quake Commands - The Console and Command Line (MephistoX)
     [14-1] Factors
     [14-2] Command Line Parameters
     [14-3] Console Commands
     [14-4] Actions

[15] Key binding, aliases and config files
     [15-1] Binding keys
	    [15-1-1] Bindable keys
     [15-2] Aliases
     [15-3] Config files

[16] Multiplayer: Modem & Direct Connect
     [16-1] System Requirements
     [16-2] Starting a game of Quake
     [16-3] Joining a game of Quake
     [16-4] Modem INIT strings

[17] Multiplayer: Internet
     [17-1] System Requirements
     [17-2] Starting a game of Quake
     [17-3] Joining a game of Quake
     
[18] Multiplayer: Network
     [18-1] System Requirements
     [18-2] Starting a game of Quake
     [18-3] Joining a game of Quake

[19] Multiplayer: Troubleshooting
     [19-1] Unable to connect
     [19-2] No response
     [19-3] Server Full
     [19-4] Phone jack appears on screen
     [19-5] Frag count freeze
     [19-6] Packet drivers with PDIPX
     [19-7] SLIST sees no servers
     [19-8] "BW_OpenSocket failed: 5"
     [19-9] Severe lag using TCP/IP under Win95

[20] Quake C

Appendixes
---------
[25] Level Editors
     [25-1] THRED
     [25-2] MUQE - Multi User Quake Editor
     [25-3] SpoogEd
     [25-4] QPED
     [25-5] Tremor
     [25-6] AutoQuake
     [25-7] QuakeStudio
     [25-8] QuakeEd
     [25-9] QEU - Quake Editor Utilities
     [25-10] Quest
     [25-11] QMAPhack
     [25-12] Shaker
     [25-13] EdQuake

[26] Quake resources on the internet
     [26-1] WWW sites
     [26-2] FTP sites
     [26-3] Newsgroups
     [26-4] IRC channels

[30] Version History

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

===
[1] Introduction
===

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Unofficial Quake FAQ
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[1-1] Foreword by the author
=====
     At last! It's finished. Ummmm, I'm fed up with typing, so no more 
foreward for now. Enjoy the FAQ.

Toby Goldstone - 17:03:37 7th September 1996

PS: One thing that didn't make it into this FAQ is good punctuation. Expect
it in the next release... I want to get this FAQ out onto the net, 
punctuation can wait a few more days <g>.

[1-2] About the Unofficial Quake FAQ
=====
     The Unofficial Quake FAQ. For the rest of this FAQ, I will refer to it 
as the (U)noffical (Q)uake (F)requently (A)sked (Q)uestions - UQFAQ. The 
UQFAQ is in no way related to id Software or its employees, hence the name. 
This FAQ is not meant to be in competition with any official Quake (or id) 
products.

     The UQFAQs version number will increase by 0.1 every time a few things
have been added/altered, increase by 0.5 every time lots of things have 
been added/altered, and increase by 1.0 every time the UQFAQ has had lots 
of new information added, or every time a substantial amount of information
has been altered/corrected. Alternatively I will just increase the version 
by 1.0 if I feel like the FAQ needs it :)

     Chapter enclosure system (eh?). Chapters are either enclosed with []'s
or **'s. The reasons for this are below:

     [] - Chapters enclosed in small brackets means the information 
	  contained in that chapter has not been updated/altered since the
	  last version of the UQFAQ.
     ** - Chapters enclosed in asterisks means the information contained in
	  that chapter is new, or has been updated since the last version 
	  of the UQFAQ.

[1-2-1] UK/US spelling issues
-------
     In order to make the UQFAQ look the same each time, I have, as of this
version, decided to use UK spellings of all words. This mainly because of 
the email I received from disgruntled Brits.... It also makes spell 
checking a lot easier. If its a problem for anyone let me know, I'm sure we
can work something out.
     NOTE: All console commands will be in US spelling... ie 'COLOR' and
'COLOUR'

[1-3] Getting the Unofficial Quake FAQ
=====

[1-3-1] Via Usenet
-------
     New versions of the UQFAQ will be posted as soon as they are 
completed. If a new version is not completed for a whole month (or more) 
the FAQ will be posted in its unaltered form.
     The following newsgroup is the *only* newsgroup I will be posting the
UQFAQ to:

     rec.games.computer.quake.announce

[1-3-2] Via WWW
-------
     I am currently working on a WWW site for the UQFAQ.... You can also 
find the FAQ on many of the Quake pages around. Refer [INCOMPLETE] for more
info.

[1-3-3] Via FTP
-------
     This section not done yet.... an FTP site is forthcoming...

[1-3-4] Via BBS
-------
     The author does not at the time of writing intend to upload the UQFAQ
to any BBS. This may change within time. You may upload the UQFAQ to a bbs,
as long as you follow the copyright information at the beginning of the 
UQFAQ. The file_id.diz or information file for the FAQ must included the
version number.

[1-4] Submitting stuff to the Unofficial Quake FAQ
=====
     If you have some information you want to share with everyone else then
email it to me at: [email-masked]
     All submissions will be checked, and may be altered for reasons of 
space or clarity. The author is under no obligation to include any 
information submitted to him. All submissions also become the property of
the author.

[1-5] Who did the UQFAQ logo?
=====
     It was created by Frans P. de Vries ([email-masked]).
     Heres what he did to make it:

     'I took quakelo.jpg from id's imagery/qgraphcs.zip, converted it to
     monochrome .gif, reduced it to 25% and converted it to ASCII using 
     gifscii.'

     So now you know.

[1-6] Acknowledgements
=====
     I started out by listing what everyone had done regarding the FAQ...
this proved to be a huge undertaking, so I'm just listing all the peoples
names instead.

     id Software for DOOM and for Quake

     Everyone on the newsgroups: rec.games.computer.quake.*

     People on #Quake for answering some of my dumb questions

     Tom Wheeley          ([email-masked]) 
     Kyle R. Hofmann      ([email-masked])
     Joost Schuur         ([email-masked])
     Michael Montgomery   ([email-masked])
     'Sex Object'         ([email-masked])
     Oliver Lines         ([email-masked])
     Chris Hubbard        ([email-masked])
     Andrew Tristan       ([email-masked])
     Wilson Seto          ([email-masked]) 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quake - the game
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[1-10] How can I get Quake?
======
     Quake v1.01 is the lastest version of Quake. Download this version,
not 1.00, or 0.91 or 0.92.

Quake is available in 7 disk sized .zip files:

    qsw101_1.zip
    qsw101_2.zip
    ...
    qsw101_7.zip
     
or alternatively one big 9Mb file:

    quake101.zip

*1-11* Where can I get Quake?
======
     Below is a list of ftp sites where you can download the shareware
version of Quake. You will need an FTP client (such as CuteFTP or WS_FTP)
to access these sites. Just type the address in the 'connect to' or 'host
name' areas.
     If you do not have an FTP client then you can download Quake using a
WWW browser... You need to add the text 'ftp://' to the start of the
address though. For example:

     ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/quake
 
     would become

     ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/quake/

ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/quake/                       (California, USA)

ftp.cdrom.com/pub/idgames/idstuff/quake                 (California, USA)
quake.best.com/mirrors/idsoftware/                      (California, USA)
ftp.gamesdomain.com/pub/companies/id/quake/             (Tennesee, USA)
ftp.cssweb.com/pub/games/idstuff/quake/                 (Kentuky, USA)
sparky.bright.net/quake/                                (Ohio, USA)
ftp.stomped.com/pub/idstuff/quake/                      (Minesota, USA)
www.pht.com/pub/gamehead/id/                            (USA)
ftp.technomancer.com/pub/idstuff/quake/                 (Virginia, USA)
ftp.infomagic.com/pub/mirrors/doom/idstuff/quake/       (Arizona, USA)
ftp.feist.com/pub/pc/games/quake/                       (Kansas, USA)
ftp.ameritel.net/idsoftware/quake/                      (Maryland, USA)
ftp.getquake.com/pub/quake/                             (Kansas, USA)
quake.osiriscorp.com/pub/idstuff/quake/                 (New York, USA)
iclass.com/pub/quake/                                   (Utah, USA)
ftp.islandnet.com/mirrors/idsoftware/                   (Victoria, Canada)
ftp.orst.edu/pub/doom/idstuff/quake/                    (Oregon, USA)
ftp.ais.net/pub/idgames/idstuff/quake/                  (Illinois, USA)
ftp.gamers.org/pub/games/idgames/idstuff/quake/         (New York, USA)
mirrors.aol.com/pub/pc_games/doom/idstuff/quake/        (Virginia, USA)

garfield.sch.bme.hu/pub/idstuff/quake/                  (Budapest, Hungary)
idmirror.netvision.be/idstuff/quake/                    (Heverlee, Belgium)
ftp.flexnet.net/pub/quake/                              (England)
ftp.passagen.se/pub/idstuff/                            (Sweden)
ftp.pk.edu.pl/pub/games/id/idstuff/quake/               (Cracow, Poland)
camel.frtk-campus.mipt.ru/pub/idstuss/quake             (Moscow, Russia)
rulhmpc49.LeidenUniv.nl/pub/mirrors/idsoft/             (Leiden, Holland)
ftp.gig.nl/pub/idstuff/quake/                           (Amsterdam Holland)
ftp.volftp.vol.it/pub2/idstuff/quake/                   (Cagliari, Italy)
ftp.origo.telenor.no/pub/quake/                         (Oslo, Norway)
ftp.spel.postnet.se/pub/games/id/                       (Sweden)
ftp.bnd.de/pub/quake/                                   (Berlin, Germany)
ftp.fu-berlin.de/pub/pc/msdos/games/doom/idstuff/quake/ (Berlin, Germany)                                                       
ftp.luth.se/pub/games/doom/idstuff/quake/               (Sweden)
ftp.sunet.se/pub/pc/games/idgames/idstuff/quake/        (Sweden)
flinux.tu-graz.ac.at/pub/idsoftware/idstuff/quake/      (Austria)
ftp.calvacom.fr/pub/pc/doom/idstuff/quake/              (France)

hyperactive.com.au/pub/games/idstuff/quake/             (Sydney, Australia)
ftp.powerup.com.au/pub/games/doom/idstuff/quake/        (Australia)

ftp.sun.ac.za/pub/msdos/idgames/idstuff/quake/          (South Africa)

[1-12] Where can I get the registered version of Quake?
======

[1-12-1] In the US
--------
     Quake is currently only available direct from id.  The retail version
of Quake (the one that will be sold by mail order and in stores) will be
released soon.

[1-12-2] In the rest of the world
--------
     Quake is *not* available direct from id. Quake is due to go on
worldwide release in early September. It will be available from mail order
outlets and stores.

[1-13] How do I install Quake?
======
     Firstly you will need to unzip either the 9Mb file or the 7 disk sized
files using PKUNZIP.
     If you do not have a copy of pkunzip, then first try looking at any 
old magazine coverdisks you might have, as these often have PKUNZIP.EXE on
them. If this fails you can get a copy from:

    ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/msdos/pkz204g.exe

    or

    http://www.winzip.com/     (for the windows version)

    After unzipping all the .ZIP files, type `install' and follow the
instructions on screen.

[1-14] Where do people discuss Quake?
======
     On the internet, there are several places where Quake discussion takes
place.

[1-14-1]  Newsgroups
--------
     There are currently five newsgroups dedicated to the discussion of
Quake, and one binaries group for the distribution of maps and utilities.

These are:

    rec.games.computer.quake.announce (moderated announcement group)
    rec.games.computer.quake.misc     (general discussion)
    rec.games.computer.quake.editing  (for issues related to Quake editing)
    rec.games.computer.quake.playing  (discussing tactics and deathmatches)
    rec.games.computer.quake.servers  (regarding large scale Quake servers)

    All posts to the .announce group are moderated for content, and is a
    low-traffic group for people wanting information about Quake.

as well as:

    alt.binaries.games.quake  (for posting of Quake maps and utilities)

     Binaries should *not* be posted to the rec.. groups as they can be
expensive for some people who read those groups, but not a.b.g.q.

     Should your newsserver not carry these groups, ask your newsadmin to
add them.  Until then, Quake can also be discussed on the groups
comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action and rec.games.computer.doom.misc.

     Please note that alt.games.quake (a.g.q) is now obsolete, and all
Quake discussion should be within the rec.games.computer.quake hierarchy.
For some of the more general discussion typical of a.g.q, a new newsgroup,
alt.games.upcoming-3d, has been created.

     For more information on why alt.games.quake is obsolete (and why
alt.games.quake cannot just be left alone), read:

     http://www.cdrom.com/pub/idgames2/docs/faqs/agqr_faq.html

[1-14-2] Internet Relay Chat
--------
     A very popular meeting place for live chat regarding Quake is on IRC
in the channel #quake. Both the undernet and EFnet host this channel

[1-15]  Are there any Quake WWW pages?
======
     Of course! Check out sectiom [26-1] for a full list.

[1-16] What does Quake need to run?
======
     Currently, Quake is available for DOS, Windows 95, and Linux.

     Below is the recommended Quake System for a PC:
     .  Pentium 75Mhz Processor
     .  16 Mb RAM
     .  25 Mb of Hard disk Space
     .  A fast graphics card

     This system should provide you with a good frame rate, and an 
enjoyable game of Quake. If you want to play over the internet you will
need the following:
     .  A 28800bps modem

     Windows 95 is also recommended, as this makes internet games that much
easier to play.

     You do not really want to play Quake on a 486, although a 486DX4/100
may *just* be able to hack it if you have enough RAM and a fast video card.

     Below is the recommended Quake System for a computer running Linux:
     .  A Linux capable computer
     .  Kernel version 1.3.88 or above. 
     .  Libraries: You need an ELF system, I think the latest stable libc 
	is v5.2.18.
     .  X: There are two binaries: (1) xquake will run under any fairly 
	new version of X.  I use 3.1.2, and it works fine.  Unfortunately
	there is no mouse support. (2) The other binary (xf86quake) only 
	runs under beta 3.1.2E. This version of X supports DGA, which 
	allows direct access to the video frame buffer, mouse support, and
	so on.  I've not been able to get xf86quake working.
     .  General Stuff: You need to get the binary distribution (version 
	0.92), which can be got from ftp://ftp.lek.net/pub/linux/quake.  
	I'm sure that there are other places.  You then need to get the pak
	file from the dos version.  You have to get it from quake091.zip, 
	the binary will choke on the 1.00 (or 1.01) pak file.

     Big thanks to Andrew Tristan ([email-masked]) for all
of the above information. I myself have not had the pleasure (?) of trying
Linux Quake out. Mail me and let me know what you think of it.

[1-16-1] What about non-Intel processors?
--------
     Quake generally works fine with non-Intel processors, although there
are some important considerations, generally concerned with the Floating
Point Unit (FPU) or Math Coprocessor.
     Even though at comparable speeds Cyrix processors run faster than
the equivalent Intel, this is not the case for Quake, as the FPU on these
devices is inferior to the Intel one.
     NexGen owners should be even more careful, as these chips do not have
an FPU!  This means that Quake *will not run*.  It is possible to use an
FPU emulator, but the performance is poor.

===
[2] Whats new?
===
     Lots. I can't possibly remember all of the changes, but I'll try to
mention them all... In the months that I have been playing quake everything 
now seems natural and second nature...

[2-1] Fully three-dimensional environment
=====
     Levels in Quake are in true 3D. It is possible to have one player 
stand on another players head, for example. This system allows much more 
complex and entertaining levels to be created. In deathmatch this change 
really stands out, with people hiding in places that would have been 
impossible in doom.
     Sprites have also been removed. Quake uses 3D models with textures 
mapped onto them. The only exceptions to this are explosions, air bubbles 
whilst underwater, and the sky.
     Note: Duke 3D and Terminator: Future Shock also implement this to a 
degree.

[2-2] You can move your head! And jump!
=====
     In Quake you can look up and down. Doesn't sound like much, but id 
have designed the levels so well that you must take advantage of this 
feature. Another feature that id have added is jumping. Again this feature 
is well implemented in the levels.
     Note: When looking up and down your view does not distort. This is a
major advancement over games such as Duke Nukem 3D.

[2-3] No action button
=====
     The action button in DOOM, used to open doors and move lifts, has been
removed. Now you walk into switches or shoot them to activate them. 
Generally speaking, you only have to shoot a switch if you can't reach it.
     There is also a +use command that can be bound to a key, but it is 
unused in Quake.  See chapter [13-2] for more details on key binding.

[2-4] No map
=====
     Having no map is a bit of a pain when you start out, but thinking 
about it, would you really have time to draw a map whilst battling with 
Shamblers? I think not.... Anyway, after a few plays you learn the levels 
off by heart, so there is no real need for a map. How the hell would you be
able to *easily* use a map anyway? Remember Quake is a 3D game....

[2-5] Better network play
=====
     Network play is *still* a great laugh in DOOM, but now with Quake 
you can play 16 player!!

[2-6] Internet Play
=====
     Quake allows you to play with up to 16(!!!) players over the internet.
Make sure you have a fast modem though (ISDN recommended if you're gonna be
playing against 15 other people).
     In Quake you can also join games which have already started, and can
leave games without the game ending (unless you are playing on the server).

[2-7] More than two players over a modem
=====
     If you can get modem play to work (hahaha) then, in theory, you can 
play against 4 or so friends over a modem. From what I gather, you can also
connect some *more* friends with direct links! I must try this! Email me if
you have tried this out...

[2-8] Traps and things...
=====
     Big bits of metal fly out of walls and smash you, ceilings fall to 
crush you, nail traps perforate you... Quake is trap-ridden, not surprising
when you consider one of the level designers like roleplaying games like 
D&D...

[2-9] Swimming
=====
     Nearly forgot this bit! That's how much I am used to it... You can now
swim around in water, slime, and lava. After about 10 seconds you start to
choke.... :) Oh, its not recommended that you go swimming in slime or lava
without the necessary protection.
     Duke 3D also allows you to swim, but the way it does this is 
different. In Quake you 'aim' yourself in the way you want to go, and press
forward. Duke 3D implements swimming as walking but underwater... you use 
up and down keys, rather than swimming up and down. The method Quake uses 
is more realistic than Duke Nukem 3D's, in other words.

[2-10] Better AI
======
     id have made some radical new advancements to the computers AI. 
Monsters now use their weapons much more effectively, with the more weedy 
monsters staying back and letting the tougher ones take the damage. 
Monsters now also seem more prone to fighting amongst themselves. In some 
cases you can stand back and watch them all slaughter each other.

[2-11] New Weapons!
======
     The Shotgun and Double barrelled Shotgun are still there, but id have 
added the Nailgun, Supernailgun (my favourite gun), Grenade Launcher,
Rocket Launcher and the Thunderbolt. Note: The thunderbolt is in the
shareware version! Read the cheats section for more info. Another great 
weapon is the Axe...

===
[3] Quake basics
===

[3-1] The story so far...
=====
     Note: I just ripped this straight from the quake manual...     

Background
     You get the phone call at 4 a.m. By 5:30 you're in the secret
  installation. The commander explains tersely, "It's about the Slipgate
  device. Once we perfect these, we'll be able to use them to transport
  people and cargo from one place to another instantly.

      "An enemy codenamed Quake, is using his own slipgates to insert death
  squads inside our bases to kill, steal, and kidnap..

      "The hell of it is we have no idea where he's from. Our top scientists
  think Quake's not from Earth, but another dimension. They say Quake's
  preparing to unleash his real army, whatever that is.

      "You're our best man. This is Operation Counterstrike and you're in
  charge. Find Quake, and stop him ... or it ... You have full authority
  to requisition anything you need. If the eggheads are right, all our
  lives are expendable.."

Prelude to Destruction
     While scouting the neighborhood, you hear shots back at the base Damn,
  that Quake bastard works fast! He heard about Operation Counterstrike,
  and hit first. Racing back, you see the place is overrun. You are almost
  certainly the only survivor. Operation Counterstrike is over. Except for
  you.

     You know that the heart of the installation holds a slipgate.
  Since Quake's killers came through, it is still set to his dimension.
  You can use it to get loose in his hometown. Maybe you can get to the
  asshole personally. You pump a round into your shotgun, and get moving.

[3-2] The aim of the game
=====
     Same as DOOM really. Stay alive and finish the level you're in. When 
you complete an entire dimension, you'll find a rune and another slipgate, 
which takes you to the start.

[3-3] How do I select a skill level?
=====
     When you start Quake and select New Game, you are presented with three
hallways. The one on the left selects easy skill, the one in the middle
selects medium skill, and the one on the right selects hard skill. Walk 
down one of the hallways and into the slipgate. There is also a hidden 
"nightmare" level skill level.  Its location is revealed in [9-1].

[3-4] How do I select a dimension?
=====
     After selecting a skill level you are teleported into a room with four
exits. Walk down one of them and into the slipgate to start playing (you 
can only play dimension 1, 'The Doomed Dimension' at the time of writing).
The Doomed Dimension is the hallway to the left when you step off the
teleporter.

[3-5] How do I move around in Quake?
=====
     NOTE: All of the following key references refer to the default Quake
keys. You may prefer changes them to something more suitable, especially if
(like me) you have a Windows 95 keyboard.

[3-5-1] Can I use my mouse?
-------
     Yes. Using a mouse is recommended way to play. Although it takes some 
getting used to, a player using a mixture of the keyboard and mouse, will
almost always beat a keyboard only player.

[3-5-2] Can I use my joystick?
-------
     As long as you have the 0.92 patch. Joystick play is not favoured by 
most Quake players, although I have seen one player who plays a good game 
of Quake using it. NOTE: Using the joystick slows game play by a few 
percent! This is a serious disadvantage. If you intend playing with other 
people, learn to use the keys or mouse, so as not to slow the game down. If
you want to leave your joystick plugged in, but not use it, then type 
joystick 0 in the console, or start Quake with the -nojoy command line 
parameter. See section [13-1] and [13-2] for more information on this.

[3-5-3] How do I walk around?
-------
     Easy. Just use the arrow keys, the joystick, or the mouse. To rotate 
your view press either the left or right arrow keys, move the mouse to the 
left or right, or move the joystick to the left or right.
     To stay alive in Quake you will also need to dodge left or right to 
avoid the monsters. This can be done by pressing the strafe key [ALT]. Hold
the key down and move left or right in the normal way, to dodge incoming 
fire. Try it. You can also use the [<] and [>] keys to sidestep left and 
right.

[3-5-4] How do I run?
-------
     Press the [SHIFT] key whilst moving. You may also like to go to the 
main menu, then go to options and select 'Always Run'. This means you that 
you will move around at running speed by default.

[3-5-5] How do I shoot?
-------
     Press the [CTRL] key, left mouse button, or joystick button #1 to 
fire. Hold it down to release even more shots. Remember to watch your ammo.

[3-5-6] How do I jump?
-------
     Press the [SPACE BAR] or [ENTER] key to jump. If you are moving and 
then jump, you jump further. If you are moving up a slope and jump, you 
jump higher. Its possible to reach some otherwise hidden areas with the 
jump key. Combine running and jumping to leap great distances. It is also 
possible to jump right over some of the smaller monsters, escaping damage.

[3-5-7] How do I look up and down?
-------
     To look up, press the [A] or [PgDn] key. To look down, press the [X] 
or [DEL] key. To center your view, press the [X] or [END] key.

[3-5-8] How do I swim?
-------
     When you jump into the water moving around is similar to moving around
on land. Aim yourself in the direction you want to travel, and press 
forward. To move up or down, use the look up and look down keys. To go 
straight to the surface, press the [SPACE BAR] key. You can also use the 
[SPACE BAR] to tread water whilst on the surface.

[3-5-9] How do I use stuff?
-------
     If you are a DOOM player, you may miss the use key. You now have to 
walk into switches, or maybe shoot them, to use a feature. Some items, such
as lifts, are activated when you walk onto them. Other items are time 
delayed, like some lifts (again) are.

[3-5-10] How do I pick stuff up?
--------
     To pick up items, weapons and power-ups, just walk over them. If this
doesn't work, then you probably have the maximum amount of that thing. If
the item you are trying to pick up is armour, and you can't pick it up, 
then the armour you are already wearing is better.

[3-5-11] How do I kill myself?
--------
     If you get stuck and can't move, or are too scared to continue, type 
'KILL' in the console [~] to kill yourself. I prefer to fire a grenade at 
the wall i am standing next to though. Messy and fun :) Note: When you 
kill yourself you start at the beginning of the level with only the shotgun
and axe. Your health and armour is set at the default values.

[3-6] Finding things
=====

[3-6-1] Switches and Floorplates
-------
     All switches will activate when you touch them. If you see a switch 
which you cannot reach, or doesn't do anything when you touch it, it is 
probably a shootable switch. Fire at these types of switch to activate 
them. All switches may trigger a trap or a monster, but they usually do 
more good than bad. In other words, activate every switch you encounter.

[3-6-2] Doors
-------
     Most doors in Quake will open on approach. If one doesn't, look around
for a switch or a floor plate. A switch may need a key. You can tell which
doors need which key because they have a coloured key symbol on them.

[3-6-3] Secret Doors
-------
     Some doors are hidden. These doors will often be textured with a 
slightly different graphic than the rest of a wall, so they are easier to 
spot. Most secret doors open when hit (with the axe) or shot. If they 
don't, look for a switch or pressure plate.

[3-6-4] Platforms or Lifts
-------
     In the shareware version of Quake, all the platforms ascend and 
descend. In the registered version of Quake, platforms follow tracks around
an area or a level. To activate a platform, walk on it, or press a nearby 
switch. Most platforms will not reset until you step off of them.
Note: In Quake all platforms can follow arbitrarily defined paths.  In the 
shareware version, this capability is not used to it's full extent, and 
platforms only move up and down. Maybe in the deluge of new levels that 
follow this feature will be used.

[3-6-5] Pressure Plates and Motion Detectors
-------
     These come in two forms, visible and hidden. They may open a door, 
start a trap, warn of danger, or do something else...

[3-7] Environmental Hazards
=====

[3-7-1] Explosions
-------
     Some careless person has left radioactive containers around some 
military bases, just waiting to be shot. When these *are* shot, they 
explode, killing (or severely hurting) everything in the near vicinity. 
     Grenades that you fire also work in this way, but are less powerful.
Remember your own grenades *will* cause damage to you if you stand too 
close.

[3-7-2] Water
-------
     Water is just water. Safe enough for a quick swim, but don't stay
underwater for more than ten seconds, as you start to choke from lack of 
air..
     Remember to come up for a breather every so often.

[3-7-3] Slime
-------
     Hurts you a lot. Don't hang around in this stuff. Get a biosuit to 
save yourself from certain doom.

[3-7-4] Lava
-------
     Do not touch the lava. It'll kill you in two seconds. The Pentagram of
Protection is your only hope of survival in this stuff.

[3-7-5] Traps
-------
     Traps in Quake come in many different flavours (yum). Some of the 
traps you will encounter are: spike shooters, ambushes, trapdoors and 
crushing ceilings. Don't worry though. The traps in Quake are usually few 
and far between.... but all are deadly.

[3-7-6] Teleporters
-------
     These are the gates you walk through to select a skill level. Jump 
into them to be transported to another place on the same level.
     This is a really cool way of killing people in deathmatch. Wait for 
them to go through, then follow them straight away. If you're lucky, you 
will teleport directly on that person, and kill them instantly. This is
known as telefragging.

[3-8] What are the default Quake controls?
=====
     Note: The following information was ripped from the Quake manual, and
reformatted to look nice.
     By using the key configuration option from the Main Menu, you can
customise the keyboard to suit your fancy, except for the Function keys, 
the [ESCAPE] key, and the [~] (tilde) key.

FUNCTION KEYS                        |   WEAPONS
Help                            F1   |   Axe                           1
Save Game                       F2   |   Shotgun                       2
Load Game                       F3   |   Double Barrelled Shotgun      3
Options Menu                    F4   |   Nailgun                       4
Multiplayer Menu                F5   |   Supernailgun                  5
Quicksave                       F6   |   Grenade Launcher              6
Quickload                       F9   |   Rocket                        7
Quit to operating system       F10   |   Thunderbolt                   8
Screenshot                     F12   |   Change to next weapon         /
				     |
MOVEMENT                             |   OTHER CONTROLS
Move / Turn     arrow keys           |   Main Menu             Escape
Jump / Swim     Space bar or Enter   |   Console               ~ (tilde)
Run             Shift                |   Look Up                 A or PgDn
Sidestep Left   . or >               |   Look Down             Z or Del
Sidestep Right  , or <               |   Center View           X or End
Strafe *        Alt                  |   Mouse Look **         \ or center 
				     |                         mouse button
				     |   Keyboard Look ***     Ins
				     |   Increase view area    +
				     |   Decrease view area    -

   * Turning right or left sidesteps instead while the Strafe key is 
     pressed.
  ** Sliding your mouse forward and back looks up and down while the Mouse
     Look key is pressed.
 *** The walk forward/backpedal arrows will look up and down while the
     Keyboard Look key is pressed.

[3-9] The Screen
=====

[3-9-1] The View area
-------
     The view area is where all the action takes place. This is what you 
can see. Anything in the view area is part off the Quake level you are on.
You can use the [+] and [-] keys to resize this view. 

[3-9-1] The Inventory Bar
-------
     Lists ammo, weapons, deathmatch scores, and power-ups. The active 
weapon is lit up. Each weapon has a number by it -- type the appropriate 
number key to switch to that weapon. In addition, this gives the amount of
ammo you have for each type of weapon, any keys you possess, and any 
power-ups currently active. Plus it shows how many and which of the four 
Runes you possess. 
     In Deathmatch, it shows the top four scores in the game. 

[3-9-2] The Status bar
-------
     A vital part of the screen. When your armour, hit points, or ammo get 
low, the number turns red. 
     From left to right, the big numbers represent: Armour Points, Health, 
and Ammo (of the current weapon). Icons show the Armour Type (green, 
yellow, or red), your adorable face, and your Ammo Type). 

[3-9-3] The Score bar
-------
     Hold down the Tab key to replace the Status Bar with the Score Bar. 
This lists the proportion of monsters you've killed, secrets you've found,
and time you've spent, along with the level name. 
     In Deathmatch, the Score bar lists the top six scorers, along with 
their names. 

[3-10] How do I change the screen resolution?
======
     To change your screen resolution, press the [~] key and type the
following: 'vid_describemodes'. This will list 10 video modes which you can
select. You start on the lowest video mode by default. To change to a
higher screen resolution, type the following: 'vid_mode x', where x is the
number of the video mode you wish to change to, ie: 'vid_mode 10'.
     You can also go to the Main Menu, then to Options, then to Video
Options to achieve the same result.
     To access the high resolution graphics modes you will need a copy of
SciTech DisplayDoctor, which is available at:

     http://www.scitechsoft.com

     This TSR allows you to use SVGA modes. Display Doctor is shareware.

[3-11] Messages
======
     Every time you pick up some ammo, a gun or some other non-special item,
Quake will inform you by playing a sound and placing a message at the top 
of the screen. You can ignore these, their only purpose is to let you know 
you got that object.
     Other messages will appear in the middle of the screen. These messages
are important. And you should read them. On the first few levels, these
messages are used to help you get used to Quake, whilst on harder levels 
you will find less messages, and maybe more cryptic ones.

[3-12] Ending a level
======
     When you get to the end of a level you will find a slipgate or large
archway. Walk through these to start the next level.
     You start the new level with the same armour, weapons, and ammo you 
had at the end of the previous one. If a power-up was active at the end of
the previous level, it is now, sadly, gone. Make the best of it. If your 
hit points were over 100 or under 50, they are altered to 100 or 50 
respectively. Otherwise, your hit points are unchanged. 

[3-13] Ending an episode
======
     When you have finished the last level on a particular episode, walk
through the large slipgate to return to the starting hall. When you start a
new dimension, you start from scratch. The only weapons you get are the Axe
and the Shotgun.

===
[4] The Main Menu
===
     To access the main menu press the [ESCAPE] key at any time whilst 
Quake is running. Whilst you are using the menu system, Quake is paused. To
select an item from a menu, move up or down it using the up and down arrows
keys. To go back to the previous menu, press [ESCAPE]. To return to the 
game, press [ESCAPE] whilst on the main menu.

[4-1] Single Player
=====
     Use this menu to start, load and save single player games.

[4-1-1] New Game
-------
     This starts a new game of Quake. It will either stop the demo 
currently playing, or end the game currently in progress. You will start in
the skill selection hall. Check out '[3-3] How do I select a skill level?' 
for more information on starting a game of Quake.

[4-1-2] Load
-------
     Lets you load a saved Quake level. You restart in exactly the same 
place you saved at, with all the same weapons and power-ups. 

[4-1-3] Save
-------
     Allows you to save the current Quake game in one of twelve save game
slots. When you save a game, the level name and kills will be displayed, so
when loading you know roughly where you are in a level (the more the kills
the nearer to the end, generally speaking).

[4-2] Multiplayer
=====
     Another huge update in v1.0 of Quake. Use this menu to setup and run 
all aspects of multiplayer Quake.
     Note: I am not going into details here of how to start and play
multiplayer games. That's in sections [16] to [19] of the FAQ. This is just
so you know how and where you setup these details.

[4-2-1] Join a Game
-------
     This is the menu you use to setup and play a multiplayer of Quake.

[4-2-1-1] Modem
---------
     Port - Select the COM port you have your modem connected to.
     IRQ  - This will automatically change when you change your 'Port'
setting. Do not alter it by hand unless you know what you are doing.
     Baud - The baud rate of your COM port or less. Higher baud rates are 
not always the best. The minimum baud rate is 9600, the maximum 57600.
     Modem Setup... - This is where you set your modems init strings. You 
can also select either tone or pulse dialing. Tone dialing is the standard 
in most parts of the UK and America, as well as in the rest of the world.
     Phone number   - The phone number of the person who you are going to 
call in order to play Quake. Remember to put in the area code if the call 
isn't local to you.
     Connect - Select this to dial the phone number and start a game of 
Quake.

[4-2-1-2] Direct Connect
---------
     Port - Select the COM port you have your modem connected to.
     IRQ  - This will automatically change when you change your 'Port'
setting. Do not alter it by hand unless you know what you are doing.
     Baud - The baud rate of your COM port or less. Higher baud rates are 
not always the best. The minimum baud rate is 9600, the maximum 57600.
     Connect - Select this to connect to the other computer via a direct
connection.

[4-2-1-3] IPX
---------
     Address - You address on the network. Note: You cannot manually change
this option, Quake sets it for you.
     Port    - The port at which you will connect to the server. This is 
fine as it is, so just leave it as the default unless you know what you are
doing.
     Search for local games... - Causes Quake to search the network for
multiplayer games. It will return a list of the games of Quake running on a
server. Select the game you want to join and press enter. If no games can 
be found Quake will give the message 'No Quake servers found'.
     Join a game at... - Type in the ip address of the quake server you
want to connect to.

[4-2-1-4] TCP/IP
---------
     Address - You address on the network. Note: You cannot manually change
this option, Quake sets it for you.
     Port    - The port at which you will connect to the server. This is 
fine as it is, so just leave it as the default unless you know what you are
doing.
     Search for local games... - Causes Quake to search the internet for
multiplayer games. It will return a list of the games of Quake running on a
server. Select the game you want to join and press enter. If no games can 
be found Quake will give the message 'No Quake servers found'.
     Join a game at... - Type in the ip address of the quake server you
want to connect to.

[4-2-2] New Game
-------
     This menu allows you to setup and play a multiplayer game of Quake.
     If you want to setup a game of Quake you wait to be called, you do not
dial out yourself. The person dialing you is the client, you are the
server.
     NOTE: When you select OK, another menu will come up, describing the
game options. This is documented in section [4-2-2-5].

[4-2-2-1] Modem
---------
     Port - Select the COM port you have your modem connected to.
     IRQ  - This will automatically change when you change your 'Port'
setting. Do not alter it by hand unless you know what you are doing.
     Baud - The baud rate of your COM port or less. Higher baud rates are 
not always the best. The minimum baud rate is 9600, the maximum 57600.
     Modem Setup... - This is where you set your modems init strings. You 
can also select either tone or pulse dialing. Tone dialing is the standard 
in most parts of the UK and America, as well as in the rest of the world.
     OK - Waits for an incoming call.

[4-2-2-2] Direct Connect
---------
     Port - Select the COM port you have your modem connected to.
     IRQ  - This will automatically change when you change your 'Port'
setting. Do not alter it by hand unless you know what you are doing.
     Baud - The baud rate of your COM port or less. Higher baud rates are 
not always the best. The minimum baud rate is 9600, the maximum 57600.
     OK - Waits for an incoming connection.

[4-2-2-3] IPX
---------
     Address - You address on the network. Note: You cannot manually change
this option, Quake sets it for you.
     Port    - The port at which you clients will connect to you. This is 
fine as it is, so just leave it as the default unless you know what you are
doing.
     OK - Waits for an incoming connection.

[4-2-2-4] TCP/IP
---------
     Address - You address on the network. Note: You cannot manually change
this option, Quake sets it for you.
     Port    - The port at which you clients will connect to you. This is 
fine as it is, so just leave it as the default unless you know what you are
doing.
     OK - Waits for an incoming connection.

[4-2-2-5]
---------
     The OK bit... Sorry for the long section titles here... you think of a
better way :)

[4-2-2-5-1] Begin Game
-----------
     Starts a multiplayer game of Quake. You may want to setup some of the
options below though.

[4-2-2-5-2] Maximum Players
-----------
     The total number of players you want to be in your game. Note: You can
only have a maximum of 4 players, unless you are running a dedicated 
server.

[4-2-2-5-3] Game Type
-----------
     Selects with Deathmatch or Cooperative. Deathmatch is where you have 
to kill your friends, cooperative is you and your friends versus the 
monsters.

[4-2-2-5-4] Teamplay
-----------
     Here you can select if your team members will be affected from 
friendly fire. This is great if you want to let rip in a packed room, and 
not worry about hitting your friends. Note: Armour will still decrease if 
you shoot someone on your side, just not health.

[4-2-2-5-5] Skill
-----------
     Increases the amount of pain you cause in Quake. Easy means a shotgun 
is not too powerful, nightmare means a shotgun is very powerful, for 
example...

[4-2-2-5-6] Frag Limit
-----------
     Selectable in 10 Frag increments. A frag is one kill. You can set this
figure from none to 100. A game of, say, a 50 frag limit, won't end until 
the 50th frag has happened, or the time limit is reached. When the frag 
limit is reached, the game ends. A frag limit of none means the game is not 
restricted, and will only end when someone ends the level.

[4-2-2-5-7] Time Limit
-----------
     Selectable in 10 minute increments. You can set this figure from none 
to 60. A game of, say, a 30 minute limit, won't end until the game reaches 
30 minutes, or the frag limit is reached. When the time limit is reached, 
the game ends. A time limit of none means the game is not restricted, and 
will only end when someone ends the level.

[4-2-2-5-8] Episode
-----------
     Select the episode you wish to start in.

[4-2-2-5-9] Level
-----------
     Select the level you wish to start on.

[4-2-3] Setup
-------
     Hostname:    Name of the Quake game you wish to start up.
     Your Name:   This is your name, and the name people will see as you in
the game.
     Shirt Color: Select the colour of your shirt.
     Pants Color: Select the colour of your pants/trousers.

[4-3] Options
=====
     Brings up Quake's options menu.

[4-3-1] Customise keys...
-------
     Allows you to change most of the keys you can use in Quake. How to do
this is self explanatory, and not worth me describing.
     You can also use the 'bind' command in the console to do this. Check 
out [14-2] for info on how to do this.

[4-3-2] Go to Console
-------
     Brings the console up. Note: Pressing the [~] key also does this.

[4-3-3] Reset to defaults
-------
     Resets everything to its default.

[4-3-4] Screen Size
-------
     Alters the size of the screen. Pressing the [+] and [-] keys whilst in
play also have the same effect.

[4-3-5] Brightness
-------
     Adjusts the brightness of the display. Usefull if you don't want to 
mess with your monitor settings, or need it *even* brighter. Note: Turning
brightness up to its highest level and putting your monitor brightness to 
its highest level, just to see things that are in the dark, is considered 
to be a little lame. Dark is good. You don't know whats going to jump you.
     You can also do this by using the 'gamma' console command. Check out 
[14-2] for info on how to do this.

[4-3-6] Mouse Speed
-------
     Adjusts the sensitivity of the mouse.
     Console command 'sensitivity' also changes this. Read [14-2] for info
on how to do this.

[4-3-7] CD Music Volume
-------
     Adjusts the music volume.

[4-3-8] Sound Effects Volume
-------
     Adjusts the volume of the sound effects.

[4-3-9] Always Run
-------
     If you turn this on, when you move you will automatically move at 
running speed. I turned this option on ever since I started playing Quake, 
and haven't turned if off since... 

[4-3-10] Invert Mouse up/down
--------
     This gives your mouse "airplane-style" controls. This means that 
pushing the mouse forward "noses down", and pulling it back "noses up". 
Some people prefer this control technique. If you're not sure what I mean, 
then play a flight sim and find out!

[4-3-11] Lookspring
--------
     Returns your view immediately to straight ahead when you release the 
look up / down key. Otherwise, you must move forward for a step or two 
before your view snaps back. Lookspring does not work while you are 
underwater.

[4-3-12] Lookstrafe
--------
     If you are using the look up / down key, then this option causes you 
to sidestep instead of turn when you try to move left or right.

[4-3-13] Video Options
--------
     Here you can select which video mode you would like to play Quake in.
It is a good idea to play in the highest and smoothest video mode possible.
     Press [ENTER] to select a video mode.
     Press [T] to test a video mode out for 5 seconds. After 5 seconds
Quake will change back to your previous video mode.
     Press [D] to make the currently selected video mode the default for
Quake. This means that when Quake starts up it will automatically use the
selected video mode.

[4-4] Help/Ordering
=====
     Displays Quakes (less than helpful) in game help menu. Also provides
details of how to order Quake (if you live in the USA).

[4-5] Quit
=====
     Quits Quake. Obviously. 

-------------
Game Elements
-------------
===
[5] Weapons and Monsters
===

[5-1] Axe
=====
     I love this weapon. It's just as powerful as the normal shotgun (on 
grunts at least)... two hits and they are down. It's also a good way to 
relieve stress when you're mad. Turn god mode on for some *real* 
satisfaction...
     Another benefit of this weapon is that it doesn't eat (any) ammo.

[5-2] Shotgun
=====
     Not very good really. Get a new weapon quick. This is not a good thing
for killing the Quake nasties with.
     Uses up 1 shotgun shell per shot.

[5-3] Double barrelled shotgun
=====
     An ok weapon for the first few levels of Quake. It is, however, slow 
to reload and has a very loose shot pattern at long range (the further away
the target, the less damage it causes).
     This weapon takes up two shells per shot.

[5-4] Nailgun
=====
     This weapon looks really cool... It's also very good. It chucks out 
nails through its two barrels at an alarming rate. Excellent against 
Knights, Grunts, Spawns and Ogres. Useful (but less effective) on the more 
powerful creatures.
     Uses up lots of ammo in a short time.

[5-5] Perforator
=====
     Same as the above but with *four* barrels! This is the weapon of 
choice for killing most of the quake monsters. Watch your friends get mowed
down in deathmatch.
     You can fire this gun for about 5 seconds before it runs out of ammo.
Watch that ammo counter carefully... Save this gun for when you need it.

[5-6] Grenade Launcher
=====
     Another cool new gun. This one fires a grenade, which either kills on
impact, or bounces around the room till it explodes. Grenade blasts can be
used to switch switches. Note that bouncing a grenade off of a switch does 
not switch it. This is the best weapon for killing Zombies.
     Uses 1 grenade per shot. Not very accurate

[5-7] Rocket Launcher
=====
     This weapon also uses grenades, but is much more precise than the 
grenade laucher. Fires a grenade at top speed towards an enemy. Certain 
death for all of the smaller bad guys (Grunts, Dogs, Knights, Zombies). 2 
hits will kill an ogre.
     Takes 1 grenade per shot.

[5-8] Thunderbolt
=====
     This weapon *is* in the shareware version! id decided to leave it in 
for some reason or another (ie they forgot to take it out). To use it, type
IMPULSE 9 in the console. This also gives you all the other weapons. Check
out the cheats section for more info.
     This gun is cool. It sounds and looks good. When you fire it a jagged
beam of white/blue energy fires out, which cuts up anything in its path. 
Great fun for slicing up grunts and knights. It's also a great help against 
the larger monster, though I still prefer to grenade them.
     This weapon kicks ass in deathmatch. Get this and the Rocket Launcher
and you can dish out some serious pain.
     Don't fire this underwater either, it's nasty.

===
[6] Ammo and Power-ups
===

[6-1] Shells
=====
     Shotguns and double barrelled shotguns use these. The shotgun uses one
per shot, whilst the double barrelled shotgun uses two per shot.
     A small box holds 20.

[6-2] Flechettes
=====
     For the nailgun and supernailgun.
     A small box holds only 25.

[6-3] Grenades
=====
     For grenade launchers and rocket launchers.
     A small crate holds 5.

[6-4] Cells
=====
     The thunderbolt uses these. 
     A small battery has 6 charges, lasting a little over a second

[6-5] Armour
=====
     There are three types of armour available: Green, Yellow and Red. 
Green is weak armour, whilst Red is good armour. Yellow is, er, in the 
middle. Look at this list for more info:

Kyle Hofmann ([email-masked])
     Green absorbs 25% of the damage you take and gives you a 100% armour 
level. Yellow absorbs 50% of the damage you take and gives you a 150% 
armour level. Red Absorbs 75% of the damage you take and gives you a 200% 
armour level.

[6-6] Megahealth
=====
     Gives you 100 extra hit points. Very useful. After a couple of 
seconds, all hitpoints over 100 start to drain away, until your hitpoints 
reach 100. Enjoy it while it lasts.

[6-7] Biosuit
=====
     Gives you an increased air supply in water and slime, and also has the
added bonus of letting you travel in slime without being hurt. Lasts about 
15 seconds. Lava is still deadly, even if you are wearing a biosuit.

[6-8] Ring of Shadows
=====
     Makes you almost totally invisible. Only your eyes can be seen 
(spooky). Monsters can't see you unless you shoot at them, at which point 
they fire everything they have (remember the movie 'Predator').

[6-9] Pentagram of Protection
=====
     Makes you completely invulnerable. Lasts for only a short time. Use it 
to scare your opponent in deathmatch. Watch his face when he shoots a 
rocket at you and you just shrug it off...

[6-10] Quad Damage
======
     Everytime you fire you unleash four times the damage. Certain death 
for most monsters with just a few hits! Use the axe for some *real* fun!

===
[7] Monsters in Quake
===

[7-1] Rottweiler
=====
     Annoying little dogs. Can cause a fair bit of damage if not dealt with
quickly. Can take two hits with the normal shotgun. Many grunts get lonely
and have rottweilers around to keep them company. This mainly happens on 
the first few levels, so watch out.

[7-2] Grunt
=====
     God, are these guys *ugly*! Get up close and look at their faces! 
Yuck! They can also dish out quite a bit of pain if you don't get them 
quick. Can take two shotgun hits at close range. Hard to hit at long range,
so don't waste shots trying to get them if they are far away.

[7-3] *Enforcer
=====
     Grunts with lasers. Nasty... kill em fast. Note: Registered version 
only.

[7-4] Knight
=====
     Evil looking things. They run *very* fast, considering they are 
supposed to be wearing heavy armour. Take this out at long range. If they 
get close then you are in trouble. Their swords cut big chunks out of you.

[7-5] *Death Knight
=====
     A very mean version of the Knight. Deal with them *before* they get
near you. Note: Registered version only.

[7-6] *Rotfish
=====
     Those disgusting fish things from the Deathmatch Test. Easy to kill, 
but hard to target. Don't get surrounded by them. Note: Registered version 
only.

[7-7] Zombie
=====
     These are weird. They make a kind of groaning, moaning sound. They 
also look like decomposing corpses (which is what they are supposed to be, 
so that's ok). These guys are already dead, and have been re-animated by 
Quake. Conventional weapons don't work on them, only the grenade and rocket 
launchers do.
     Although conventional weapons don't actually kill these, they do slow
them down, and force them to fall over.... A grenade is a much better idea 
though.

[7-8] Scrag
=====
     Possibly the worst looking things ever. Take one fish, one ugly face,
mix, and you have a Scrag. These guys fly around and throw green stuff at
you. Watch out. The nailguns work best on these guys, remember the 
Cacodemons of DOOM? Get them with the chainsaw and they can't fire back. 
Same applies to Scrags in Quake.

[7-9] Ogre
=====
     You'll learn to respect these guys fast. They have a chainsaw *in* one
arm, and a grenade launcher in the other. Keep dodging to avoid the 
grenades, but don't get too close to them, or they'll tear you apart.

[7-10] *Spawn
======
     Big blue things that float around and ram into you. Don't get near 
them. Note: Registered version only.

[7-11] Fiend
======
     Scary. BIG dog like things with horns. Can take about 4 grenades. Most
of the levels pack them in groups of two or more. Dishing out 8 grenades in
a few seconds, without getting hurt yourself, is no easy task.

[7-12] *Vore
======
     Spider things with people stuck on.... like that head thing in 'Toy 
Story'... Looks spooky. It can also dish some pain out, so kill them fast.
Note: Registered version only.

[7-13] Shambler
======
     These are simply amazing! I thought this was a boss when I first saw 
it! These guys can *really* hurt you, and, much to my dismay, take lots of
punishment too. When I first saw one of these I ran. Turn off the lights 
and play on nightmare skill setting. These guys crop up *real* soon in the
game... The best tactic is to circle round and round them firing the super 
nailgun in their general direction.
     I once killed *two* of these guys when I was on 3% health, and had no 
armour (I think it was E1M3)! The secret is to keep sidestepping. They 
can't 'lock on' to you. They use an organic version of the thunderbolt to 
hurt you.