Subject: Quake FAQ 2.0 (part 2 of 3)
From: [email-masked] (Toby Goldstone)
Newsgroups: rec.games.computer.quake.announce,rec.games.computer.quake.misc

--------------------------
I need help playing Quake!
--------------------------
===
[8] Tables and Things...
===

[8-1] How much does it take to kill a certain Quake monster?
=====
     Thanks to Kyle Hofmann for the new table design.

[8-1-1] Short Range
-------
     Short range means bloody close, to six or seven meters away. Scary.
     Thanks to Andrew Tristan ([email-masked]) for some of
the Shambler stuff.
     Thanks also to Wilson Seto ([email-masked]) for all of the number of 
nails needed to kill eack monster.

A = Axe, S = Shotgun, DS = Double Barreled Shotgun, NG = Nailgun, 
P = Perforator, GL = Grenade Launcher, RL = Rocket Launcher, 
T = Thunderbolt

+-----------+------------+--------+------------------------------+
|           |            |        |        Shots to Kill         |
| Monster   | Hit points | To gib +---+---+---+---+---+--+---+---+
|           |            |        | A | S |DS |NG | P |GL|RL | T |
+-----------+------------+--------+---+---+---+---+---+--+---+---+
| Dog       |     25     |  -35   | 2 | 2 | 1 | 3 | 2 |1 | 1 | 1 |
| Rotfish   |     25     |  N/A   | 2 | 2 | 1 | 3 | 2 |1 | 1 | 1 |
| Grunt     |     30     |  -35   | 2 | 2 | 1 | 4 | 2 |1 | 1 | 1 |
| Zombie*   |     60     |    0   |N/A|N/A|N/A|N/A|N/A|1 | 1 |N/A|
| Knight    |     75     |  -40   | 4 | 4 | 2 | 9 | 5 |1 | 1 | 3 |
| Enforcer  |     80     |  -35   | 4 | 4 | 2 | 9 | 5 |1 | 1 | 3 |
| Scrag     |     80     |  -40   | 4 | 4 | 2 | 9 | 5 |1 | 1 | 3 |
| Spawn     |     80     |  N/A   | 4 | 4 | 2 | 9 | 5 |1 | 1 | 3 |
| Ogre      |    200     |  -80   |10 | 9 | 4 |23 |12 |2 | 2 | 7 |
| D. Knight |    250     |  -40   |13 |11 | 5 |28 |14 |3 | 3 | 9 |
| Fiend     |    300     |  -80   |15 |13 | 6 |34 |17 |3 | 3 |10 |
| Vore      |    400     |  -90   |20 |17 | 8 |45 |23 |4 | 4 |14 |
| Shambler**|    600     |  -60   |30 |25 |11 |67 |34 |10|10 |20 |
+-----------+------------+--------+---+---+---+---+---+--+---+---+

* After being hurt, a zombie will heal back to 60 hit points unless it's 
  at 0, so you must kill it in one hit.  Zombies are knocked down 
  consistently when they reach 35 hit points, and sometimes at 50 or less.
** Shamblers take only half damage from explosives.

[8-1-2] Long Range
-------
     Long range is pretty much the same as short range, because Quake 
doesn't work any of this complicated stuff out. Aiming at long range is 
more harder though, so it is likely that you will use more shots killing a 
monster.

[8-2] Weapon damage table
=====
+--------------------------+--------+
| Weapon                   | Damage |
+--------------------------+--------+
| Axe                      |   20   |
| Shotgun*                 |   4/6  |
| Double barreled shotgun* |  4/14  |
| Nailgun                  |    9   |
| Perforator               |   18   |
| Grenade Launcher**       |   120  |
| Rocket Launcher**        | 100-120|
| Thunderbolt              |   30   |
+--------------------------+--------+

* The first number is the number of damage per bullet, the second the 
  number of bullets.
** Shamblers take only half damage from explosives.

===
[9] What are the secret areas in Quake?
===
     NOTE: [9-1] to [9-10] are the work of Kyle R Hofmann, sections [9-11] 
to [9-32] are the collective efforts of the users of The Quake Stomping 
Grounds (http://www.stomped.com). Thanks goes to both Kyle and Stomped for
use their documents.
     Heres what Kyle has to say...
     If you have a comment, suggestion, or addition, e-mail me at  
[email-masked].  MAIL REGARDING CHEAT CODES, COMMANDS IN THE CONSOLE, 
OR ASKING HOW TO GET TO A SECRET LISTED IN HERE MAY BE DELETED WITHOUT 
NOTICE.
     Note: You may also like to check out the HTML version of this list of
secrets at: http://www.crl.com/~rhofmann/secrets.html

[9-1] START: Introduction
=====
#1 - From the start of the level: Enter one of the difficulty selection 
slipgates.  Walk towards episode 4.  There will be a pool of water.  
Jump into the pool and duck underneath the platform you were just 
standing on.  Drop through the water.   You will land on a beam of wood 
above the floor.  Walk along the beam into an archway (on your left 
looking in the direction you walk down the hall to reach episode 4).  
Walk through the archway and through another slipgate to reach Nightmare 
mode!

#2 - The 'Super Secret' (also known as the 'Dopefish Secret') talked 
about by one of the beta testers.  It has been moved from its previous 
location in the Introduction.  For now, the only clue comes from 
shooting a box on the wall on the way to the Nightmare skill level: "The 
Well of Wishes awaits in the Crypt of Decay!"  Note that this is NOT the 
staircase underneath the episode selection area.

[9-2] E1M1: The Slipgate Complex
=====
#1 - Forward and to the right of the start is a ledge with flashing 
lights.  Shoot the wall nearest the start on that ledge (the one with the 
red design on it).  There will be a box of shells behind it.  Also, the 
guys at id are nice enough to tell you to shoot this one if you try to 
use it.

#2 - Underneath the first bridge you come to is a river.  It flows into a 
cavern.  Enter this cavern and walk through it.  As you pass by a set of 
steps containing a 100 health item and a door to the end of the level 
(which cannot be opened from this side), the game will register a 
secret.  At the end of the cavern is a lift taking you back up to the 
blue armor at the start. 

This secret can also be accessed at the end of the level.  Climb up 
the ramp to the room right before the slipgate out of the complex.  Turn 
to the right.  There should be a column on the wall. Shoot it.  Shoot the 
wall to the right of the column.  It will open, revealing the river and 
100 health box. 

#3 - Past the first bridge is a door.  Enter the door and kill the 
monsters.  To the right of the entrance is a column and a ledge.  Go to 
the corner between the ledge and the column.  Shoot the globe texture 
high up on the column.  A platform will rise and you will be on the 
ledge.  Turn to your right and shoot the globe texture on the ledge.  The 
wall behind the globe will open, leading to a quad damage item.

This secret can also be accessed from hall after the platform that 
extends over the pool of slime (See secret #4).  Walk to the end of that 
hall, right before the walkway with the three buttons.  To the right 
should be a red wall.  Shoot it.  It will open, allowing access to the 
quad damage.

#4 - To the left of the door past the bridge is a large hall.  Follow it 
to the right.  There will be a large, shallow pool of slime and a button 
on the wall.  Push the button and a platform will slide out from the 
wall.  Halfway across the platform, turn to your left.  There will 
be a red target in a depression slightly above your the level of 
your head.  Shoot it and turn to your left.  A door in a wall will 
open, revealing a double barreled shotgun.

#5 - Past the platform over the pool is a hall.  Walk down the hall.  You 
will reach a walkway.  Go down the walkway and turn left.  Go down the 
walkway again and turn left.  There will be a button and a light in front 
of you.  Jump onto the bannister.  Jump onto the light.  Either step or 
jump onto the button (sometimes you fall off when you step, but jumping 
is very difficult).  Look at the wall in front of you.  There will be a 
ledge and two blocks jutting out.  Jump to the lowest block.  Jump up to 
the next block and to the ledge.  Inside is a 100 health item.

#6 - Go all the way down the walkway.  There will be a door.  To the 
right and behind a column will be a biosuit.  Take it.  Don't dawdle now, 
as the biosuit doesn't give you much more time than you need.  Jump into 
the slime.  Swim underneath the door.  Follow the tunnel to where it 
opens into a slightly larger area.  There will be a platform overhead.  
You won't be able to see it unless you try to surface.  There will be a 
boxed in area of the platform that you can see, however.  Swim up that 
opening.  If you are running low on air, you can swim up to the platform 
from the tunnel, but you must step over the opening before the game 
registers the secret.  There should yellow armor and some health on the 
platform.  There is also a slipgate to the area over the door past the 
bridge (back around secret #3) 

[9-3] E1M2: Castle of the Damned
=====
#1 - At the start, walk down the stairs and jump off to the right into 
the water.  There should be a green, lit wall in front of you.  Shoot it 
and it will open.  Walk along the passage until you surface.

This secret can also be accessed by the area near the bridge with the big 
red symbol over it.  Jump off the bridge and swim underneath it, going away 
from the symbol.  You will swim under an arch and come into a small room.  
There will be a ramp on the left.  Walk up the ramp.

#2 - From the start, go forward until you reach the wall.  Turn right.  
Forward again.  Turn left.  There will be a bridge over a pool of 
water.  There will also be a large red symbol on an archway over the 
bridge.  Go onto the bridge.  To the left, there will be a double 
barrelled shotgun.  Jump off and swim underneath the area of the 
gun.  Swim under an arch and to the right.  Follow the passage.  
There will be a bridge above you all the way.  You will eventually 
reach a pool.  To the left of the entrance will be a wall with a 
symbol high up on it.  Walk in front of it and it will open up.  
There will be 25 health, a box of nails, and a slipgate to the ledge 
opposite the one containg the double barreled shotgun.

#3 - Cross the bridge with the red symbol.  Turn to the right and walk 
through the door.  Turn to the left.  Climb the staircase.  There 
will be a column to your right and midway across the room.  Go to 
the side of the column facing outward.  A small plate of stone is on 
the column.  Push it.  A door to the right will open to give you a 
quad damage item.

[9-4] E1M3: The Necropolis
=====
#1 - From the start: Forward and to the left.  Get the grenade launcher.  
Turn to the left. There will be an ogre behind a set of bars and a 
couple of other monsters.  There will be two paths: one through the 
door to the left and a set of steps leading down and to the right.  Take the 
steps.  Go along the passage until you reach a bridge.  Jump down.  To 
the left of the bridge and behind where you came from is an alcove.  
Shoot the back of the alcove and the wall will open.  There will be rockets 
and health inside.

#2 - Starting from the same bridge from which you jumped down in #1, cross 
the bridge and turn right.  There will be a short passage, two sets of 
stairs, and a platform down.  Go down and turn to face the left wall of 
the passage you just went down.  There will be a short corridor there.  Go 
down the corridor until you reach a shallow lake.  To your left will be 
the gold key.  Take it.  Turn slightly to the left.  There will be an 
area of the wall darker and with a slightly different texture from the 
rest.  Go right up to it.  You will fall beneath the water.  Ahead is a 
short passage.  Swim through it and up to land.  There will be a ring of 
the shadows there. 

#3 - From the area with the ogre behind bars (described in secret #1), 
take the door.  Get the nailgun and shoot the symbol.  Go down the 
steps and follow the passage.  There will be a series of platforms.  
Go across the platforms.  You will reach a locked door.  Open it (it 
uses the key described in secret #2).  Follow the passage.  Jump 
down to a set of tunnels filled with slime.  Go forward, turn left, 
forward again, left, first tunnel on the right, and up the ramp.  
Open the door.  Above you will be two ogres on platforms.  To your right 
is a yellow armor blocked by two sets of two bars each.  Killing the 
ogres above removes the bars.  Shoot the wall behind the armor.  A wall 
will open, revealing a slipgate.  Go through the slipgate.  You will be 
on the platforms that the ogres were standing on.  There are rockets here.

[9-5] E1M4: The Grisly Grotto
=====
#1 - Through the door at the start there is a set of spiral stairs.  On 
the left and right at the top are two red symbols.  Shoot them.  The 
celing will fall, revealing a yellow suit of armor.  The knight below is 
sometimes crushed by the celing.

#2 - From the bottom of the stairs, go through the passage.  You will come 
upon a deep lake.  Get the biosuit.  Dive into the water.  Directly to 
your right should be a small ledge where you can surface.  Go up and you 
will get a box of rockets.

#3 - From the pier with the silver key:  Jump off and swim in the 
direction of the pier.  Surface on the other side.  Go through the 
silver key door and to the left.  Follow the passage.  You should reach a 
small body of blue slime with a bridge over it.  Go to the end of the 
bridge and ride the platform up.  Step on all the touchplates.  Two 
doors wil open in the walls.  Enter both and press the buttons.  The 
game should tell you that a secret cave has opened.  Jump onto the 
bridge and head back out to the deep pool where you got the silver 
key.  Along the right wall of the cave will be a large, bright 
circular opening.  Enter it.  Swim up.  Inside a little room is a 
grenade launcher, health, and a slipgate to the secret level.

[9-6] E1M5: Gloom Keep
=====
#1 - Jump to the right and off the bridge you start on.  There will be an 
area sticking out of the wall, almost like a column.  Beneath the water 
is an opening to a ledge with a box of nails and 100 health.

#2 - Cross the bridge at the start and turn right.  Follow the walkway and 
pass through the gate.  There should be a stairway forward and to the 
right.  Jump onto the bannister of the stairway.  Jump across to a ledge 
that juts out from the wall.  Run along the ledge to the platform with 
an ogre.  Jump across.  There are rockets and armor on the platform.

#3 - Cross the bridge at the start and go through the gate.  Walk along 
the passageway until you reach a room where you are standing on a 
Y-shaped platform.  From there, take the right fork.  Follow the passage 
and you will come into a large room.  Forward and to the left is a 
staircase.  On the right will be a square area with a column in the 
center.  Walk up to the column.  Jump up and hit the torch with your 
head.  Behind the column, a door will open in the wall, revealing yellow 
armor and a touchplate to open the wall if it closes on you.

#4 - From the same large room described in secret #3, climb the 
staircase.  To the right is another set of stairs and an octogonal room 
with a slipgate to the gold key.  Go behind the slipgate and step 
through.  You will end up near the start on top of the building you 
enter.  There is a quad damage nearby. 

#5 - When you fall down the passage to the exit slipgate, turn around.  
The wall will look turned --- it has roll added to it.  Shoot the wall.  
The wall will open, leading to a slipgate back to the gold key doors.

[9-7] E1M6: The Door to Chthon
=====
#1 - From the start, jump down.  To the left will be a corridor.  At the 
end is a design suspended over lava.  Ahead of that is a door which opens 
as you walk down the corridor, and to the left is another door. Enter the 
door ahead of you.  Turn to the right.  There should be an obvious, but 
still hidden door ahead and a room forward and to the right.  Walk in 
front of that room.  Turn to face away from the room and look up.  There 
will be a red Q symbol.  Shoot it.  The hidden door, now to your right, 
will open.  Ride the lift up onto the air ducts.  Walk to the edge and 
look down and to your left.  You should see the celing of the room 
below.  Jump onto the ceiling.  There will be a quad damage powerup there.

#2 - Go to the room to the left of the design suspended over lava.  Push 
the button with the Q.  Fall into the pit that opens behind you.  Wait 
for the stairs to form and then walk down them.  There is a passage with 
useful 100 health item at one end and a spiked wall at the other.  As you 
walk down the hall, bars come down and block your exit, a wall opens, 
revealing several ogres, and the spiked wall begins to come towards you.  
Kill the ogres and escape using a lift that becomes unbarred with their 
death.  Jump down onto the stairs into the middle of the lava.  These are 
the same stairs you just went down.  The bars will go up at some point and 
you will be able to enter.  This time, the bars will not go down, and 
the spiked wall will move as soon as you enter.  Trigger the wall and go 
back.  Wait for the wall to pass and go behind it.  There will be a slipgate 
which leads to a super nailgun and a box of nails.  You will also be able 
to jump to a landing with a 100 health box.

#3 - Below the start is a completely dark room.  Once you get the silver 
key, this room lights up.  Cross the pit in this room and go to the end 
of the passage.  Turn left.  You should be facing a set of stairs with a 
closed door at the top.  To the right of the stairs is a column and a 
large chamber with a big switch in it.  Hit the switch.  Go to the side 
of the column that points away from the chamber.  A red symbol will have 
been uncovered.  Shoot it.  The stairs with the closed door will lower.  
At the bottom is a box of rockets. 

#4 - Stay at the bottom of the stairs in #3 until they rise again.  There 
will be a slipgate down a small flight of stairs.  Walk through.  You will 
be on a ledge.  On another ledge across from the one you are on is a 100 
health box.

[9-8] E1M7: The House of Chthon
=====
There are no secrets on this level.

[9-9] E1M8: Ziggurat Vertigo
=====
#1 - At the start, you should see a Pentagram of Protection.  Get the 
pentagram and dive into the lava by the bridge. Swim beneath the bridge 
away from the ziggurat and you will emerge in a small room.  There is a 
quad damage powerup, health, and a slipgate to the bridge in front of the 
ziggurat.

#2 - Behind the silver key door, there is a passage forward and to the 
left and one to the right.  Take the one on the left.  Follow it to the 
end.  On your right should be a wall with a dark border on one section.  
Shoot that section.  A door in the wall will open, leading to two boxes 
of nails.

[9-10] Contributors to section [9]
======
Author: Kyle R. Hofmann

Secrets:
  E1M1 #3
    Mike Simpson
    Matt Hudson
    Bryce E. Maryot
  E1M1 #4
    Bryce Maryot
  E1M2 #1
    Enigma from the Adrenaline Vault
  E1M2 #3
    Greg Wood
    Aftershock
  E1M5 #3 & #4
    Jim Bucher
  E1M6 #1 & #3 & #4
    Jim Bucher

[9-11] E2M1: The Installation
======
#1 - Near the very beginning of the level, you come to a room with a 
barracade, the way leading to the gold key door, and the way leading to a 
huge room with lots of water and a bridge. Go to the bridge...and walk 
across the bridges half-way. Turn left, and hop in. As you sink, you'll 
notice a section where the celing is lower than the surface of the water. 
Swim to the far corner of the area with the low celing, and look up. You 
should see a tunnel leading up. Swim up it, and at the top will be a red 
armor. - SirGarland

#2 - After you get the gold key, a door will open behind you, and one of 
those plasma-shooting fellows will be there. Jump into the water right 
under that opening, and follow the paths to a ramp. Climb the ramp, and 
you'll be in a secret area (this one's not too hard to find). - SirGarland

#3 - Go back to the room where the gold key was. You'll notice 2 sets of 
bars on opposite sides of the room. One set (the set to your right if 
you're facing the back wall) has a small ledge at the top, and a small, 
hard to see staircase to it's side. Climb the tiny stairs (you'll probably
have to jump), and jump on the ledge. Then just walk through the wall. It's
one of those fake walls. There's a +100 health inside if I remember 
correctly - SirGarland

#4 - Go to where you get (or got) the silver key. From that room, go down 
the stairs, and you'll be in a room with a left path, a right path, and 
some water in the middle. Jump in the water...and swim until you reach a 
grate on the floor. Shoot or chop that grate (you'll most likely have to 
"look down" with the DELETE key), and go down in side it. At the bottom, 
you'll see a path leading somewhere else, and another grate. Hit the grate
(this opens secret 5), and the follow the path. You'll end up in a room 
with a few goodies and a teleporter. Don't leave yet... - SirGarland

#5 - In room you got to in secret 4, there is another hidden room branching
off the hidden room. If you hit the second grate, it should already be 
open. If you didn't, go back and hit it. You'll find some invincibility 
inside. - SirGarland

#6 - This one is in the room with the huge steel cage with a bunch of 
boxes (?) inside. Hit the switch on one side of the cage, and it'll allow 
you to get to a little elevator. Don't take the elevator up yet...just walk 
right past it. You can shoot the wall to the left of you to reveal a room 
with a Quad Damage. - SirGarland

#7 - This last one is in the huge cage. Once you are at the top, and you're
walking around the top of the cage, there is a section with some bars that
are farther apart, and you can squeeze through. Go to the bottom of the 
cage, and you'll find a yellow armor. - SirGarland

[9-12] E2M2: The Ogre Citadel 
======
#1 - Near the very beginning, right after you decend the first staircase, 
jump into the river. Head to the left...and go into the little cave, and 
walk to the back wall. An elevator will take you up to a +100 health 
box. - SirGarland

#2 - From where you got the +100 health box in secret 1, continue into the
water. Exit the mini room you are in, and go to the left. Keep on going to
the left...along that path...under the bridge...and into the mini room on 
the far wall. Go up the stairs to the grenade launcher. - SirGarland

#3 - At the end of secret 2, you will come out of the secret room into a 
hallway. In this hallway...go a little to your right...and on the right 
wall will be a window...and you'll be able to see an Ogre across from you.
Jump out this window, but stay close to the wall...so that you land on the 
bridge. Follow the bridge, get the armor, and keep going to the +100 health
box - SirGarland

[9-13] E2M3: The Crypt of Decay
======
#1 - You know the very first bridge...the one with the armor and the fork 
with the two paths? Well, sidestep off of the bridge while facing the 
armor. Move forward, and under the bridge, you'll see an underwater 
hallway. Go through this hallyway till you reach a bigger room. Turn left 
and go in to the room with the arrows pointing to it's doorway. Then 
continue on to the end of the room, and take the first right you see. 
You'll go up some stairs, out of the water, and into a secret. - SirGarland

#2 - After you get the gold key, 3 doors will open (I think some enemies 
pop out as well) revealing 3 tiny rooms. Go into the one to your right, 
and shoot the back wall. It will open (duh). Go in, and pick up the +100 
health box. If you jump into the water you'll notice two things. One, a 
yellow armor, and two, a barricade. Keep this in mind later. - SirGarland

#3 - The very last intersection of the level has 2 ways...one leads to the
regular exit, and another to a room with five boxes, 2 stacks of 2 boxes, 
and one in the middle. Go to the room with the boxes. On the ceiling will 
be a red switch. Shoot it, and a door will open above the middle box. Go 
through it, get the +100 health box...and hit the other switch. It will 
open that barricade from secret 2. Go back to that barricade, go through 
it, and up the ramp. You'll see a circle(ish) teleporter that will take you
to this episode's secret level, The Underearth. - SirGarland

#4 - At the room with the arched bridge that leads to the gold door, there
is a zombie way over on a platform who snipes at you. If you aim a grenade
really high you can nail him. When he dies, the wall will open immediately
to the left of the gold door, revealing a passage to the zombie's platform 
and his goodies. - Branden Robinson

EXTRA - The Well of Wishes - After running through the hallway with spikes
and across the bridge turn around and look to the right. There is a poorly
lit ledge with a Quad damage. Jump to the ledge (easier if you jump more
towards the right from the exit of the spike area. If you look really 
close, there is a tiny ledge you can follow. Follow it around until you see
a little area that you can jump up into. There it a water pit you can jump 
into. Presto! You're into the well of wishes and DopeFish is there waiting
for you. - David Fagerland

[9-14] E2M7: Underearth (Secret Level) 
======
#1 - To the left of the gold door is a brick sticking out of the wall. Push
it in, and you'll lower a near-by column to receive a Quad 
Damage. - SirGarland

#2 - After going through the gold key door, you will come upon a room 
that's basically a winding bridge over a slime pit. After getting across 
the bridge, look back across the slime pit and underneath, you will see a 
small opening that you can get through. Jump into the pit and go into the 
area. There you'll pick up the Bio-suit. As you're leaving the bio-suit 
alcove, you'll see 3 pillars. Just beyond the 3rd pillar is an area where 
you can dive down below the slime and get the Red-Armor. Comeback up and 
use the button on the wall to get out of the slime. - BraFish

[9-15] E2M4: The Ebon Fortress 
======
#1- From the start, hop down and into the water, go right and go into the 
cave entrance on the left next to the grenade launcher. Go through the 
entrance and into the next room of water. Then take the entrance on the 
left and turn left immediately after you go through the entrance. You will
see a platform with a set of steps in front of you and dragon windows to 
the right and left of you up high. Go straight until you hit a wall and 
turn left. Walk through the pasageway  until you hit an elevator, take that
up and go over the bridge to the next room, walk down the stairs and turn 
around to the left and go into the inlet next to the stairs. Shoot the wall
and it will open to rockets and 200 life. - Matt McClure

#2 - From that point, go up the stairs and to the right where there is a 
wooden floor that is slanted against the wall. Turn right and look to the 
wall ahead. There should be a wooden section that you will shoot. It will 
open and there is a tiny ledge along the wall to the left that will able u
to get there. - Matt McClure

#3 - In the room where you find the silver key, turn to the right when you 
get off the moving platform and go into the gap where there is toxic slime
under you. Swim down and left there will be a secret area with red 
armor. - Matt McClure

#4 - From the start go hop into the water and rub against the wall to the 
right of the island with the grenade launcher. You will start to sink into
the secret area with Quake Damage and Yellow Armor. - Matt McClure

[9-16] E2M5: The Wizard's Manse
======
#1 - Near the very beginning is a bridge with a rock column by it. Jump 
off the bridge and into the water...and swim around the rock column. You'll
eventually see an opening. Swim inside it, and an elevator will take you to
a secret area. - SirGarland

#2 - After getting the gold key, turn back around go back the way you came.
When you turn right, look to your right again and you will notice that the
texture of the wall doesn't continue in one section. Enter, and get the 
Armor AND the Quad Damage! - BraFish

[9-17] E2M6: The Dismal Oubliette 
======
#1 - On the "second floor" of the tower by the gold key barrier, there's an
intersection with 3 ways. If you're coming from the elevator, the path in 
front of you, and to your left will take you to switches. The path behind 
you will take you back to the elevator. To your right is a wall. Shoot the
wall, and go inside. That's the secret. - SirGarland

#2 - When you go into the room with water in front of two out post like 
snipering cages up above to the right and the left, soon as you get the bar
open on the opening to the left after you have gone underwater and into the
structure, go past where the bar was and hop into the water. Then go down 
and turn around under water. Head towards the wall and turn to see a Quake
Power. -Matt McClure 

[9-18] E3M1: Termination Central
======
#1 - Go to the big platform that is over the toxic pool, and where you find
the Quake damage, and go to the other side and hop off into the toxic 
sludge and swim straight down and you will see an opening in the wall near 
the floor, go through it and it will have a teleporter and a lot of stuff 
as it takes you to 200 life and other things. - Matt McClure

#2 - On that same platform, as you enter, just barely hop off the side 
between the two stairs on the side of the platform where the inlets to a 
pathway are. Then look around and there will be an elevator that will also
take you up to the top of the platform structure. - Matt McClure

#3 - With your back facing the Gold Door, go into the opening in the metal 
boxes ahead and hop up to the highest point and shoot at the disfunctional
looking wall. - Matt McClure

#4 - With your back facing the Gold Door, go past the metal boxes, hop to 
the left of the elevator and hop into the shadows ahead. There is a thin 
ledge on the wall in the shadows, once you have gotten on it, turn left to 
find the Quake Power. - Matt McClure

#5 - From the start, after you go down the elevator and down the first ramp
to the left, shoot the darkened part of the wall on the right. It will open
up, revealing the red armor. - BraFish 

[9-19] E3M2: Vaults of Zin
======
#1 - Turn down the first passageway to the left. There will be a passageway
to the right where you have to jump to the Grenade Launcher. After getting
the weapon, turn around and look down. Just past the lava near your feet 
are some zombies and a 100 Power-Up that you can grab. - BraFish

#2 - In the area at the same level of the Crucifiction wall, there is a 
texture on the right that looks a little wrong. Shoot it and open up a 
teleporter to the walkways above. - BraFish

#3 - Shoot the area of the wall just to the left of the Crucifiction. It 
will reveal an area containing the invisibility ring. - BraFish

EXTRA - If you shoot the small skull on the wall in the room where you have
to drop down on the button surrounded by lava (you know the place) it will
give you a quad damage, but won't register a secret. - BraFish

[9-20] E3M3: The Tomb of Terror
======
#1 - After going up the staris that come out of the lava, look up and to 
the right and you will see a big "Q" switch that you can shoot, opening up 
a teleporter below. It takes you above the lava room to the awaiting red 
armor. - BraFish

#2 - After going up the stairs that come out of the lava, turn right at the
4 way intersection. The room at the end of the short hall contains a small 
strip of water. Dive in and collect the 100 health at the bottom. - BraFish

[9-21] E3M4: Satan's Dark Delight
======
#1 - After activating the bridge to get across to the rocket launcher, 
continue going all the way across to the other side. After turning the 
corner to the left, and down the ramp into the room, you'll notice a ledge
just above you. To get up there, go up the other ramp out of the room. On 
the right side of the ramp on the wall, you'll notice what looks like 
blocks that will come out and be stairs. Actually, you can walk right up 
them as if they were stairs. There's a few goodies up there. - BraFish

#2 - While riding the platforms in the water chasm, it will go past several
ledges. One small ledge in particular is the last one to pass before the 
moving platform goes to the "crushing" area where the button to raise the 
bridge is. Jump on this small platform, and walls will open up that will 
take you to a LARGE assortment of goodes. - BraFish

#3 - Inside the secret to area #2 shoot the light farthest to the left in 
the base of the wall on the left side of the room. It will open a small 
closet with a 666 Armor. - grifter

#4 - After riding the platforms and raising the bridge to get to the other 
side of the water chasm, you'll enter a rising platform that will take you 
to a small square room. You'll notice that one of the six lights is yellow,
not white. Shoot it, and it will open a door to the Invulnerability. 
- BraFish

EXTRA - After going down the long stairway at the end of which is the 
Lightning gun, turn around and look behind the stairs. There are two ledges
over looking a hole that will take you to the secret level.

[9-22] E3M7: The Haunted Halls (Secret Level)
======
#1 - Just past the area with the yellow armor, there is a lift that takes 
you up to where a button opens the door to the "box" wth the vore in it. Go
up the lift, and then jump back off and walk into the hole underneath the 
lift. You'll get a 100 Health. - BraFish

#2 - In the room right before the "box" with the vore in it, (where the 
yellow armor is) there are two grates to the right. One of them has a small
landing in front of it. Shoot it and get the Quad Damage. You'll need it 
for the vore. - BraFish

#3 - After running through the nail trap, there is button on the wall to 
the left to lower the elevator. Look up above the ceiling there, and there 
is a small Q button that you can shoot to open the door to some armor and 
the Quad Damage. - BraFish

#4 - After running through the nail trap, press the button on the wall to 
the left to lower the elevator. Go up to the bridge on the upper level and 
look down to the right. You should see a cage. Jump on top of the cage and
a door will open in front of you leading you to the Invulnerability. 
- BraFish

[9-23] E3M5: Wind Tunnels
======
#1 - After getting out of the first of the "three" tunnels, climb the 
stairs and go through the passage way. In one of the corners of the 
passage, you can drop through. The hole drops you into a small room with 
goodies and a teleporter that will take you to the Quad Damage. - BraFish

#2 - When you are on the ledge above a second ledge above a pool (the whole
thing is like a ribbed funnel in a way), go to the far side of the ledge 
from the entrance and face the entrance. On one of the girders overhead 
there is a quake symbol. Shoot it and a door will open next to the 
entrance. - William Shubert

#3 - In the room with stairs out, a small wind tunnel overhead, and a moat
around the edge of the room, jump in the moat and go under the room. The 
pool here has two exits. One of them leads to a secret room. - William 
Shubert

#4 - At the very end of the level, when you are in the room with the exit 
teleporter, shoot the floor in the center of the room and it will open up.
Jump in, but miss the teleporter under the hole that opened up, and there 
are some boxes of nails. - William Shubert 

[9-24] E3M6: Chambers of Torment
======
#1 - In the room next to the area with the silver key, there is a button on
the ceiling (which you must shoot) that will open the door leading to the 
armor that you could see behind the mesh earlier, and to a Quad 
Damage. - BraFish

#2 - In the area after the silver door, turn to the left and take the 
elevator to the top. On the ceiling above the elevator is a button that 
when shot will open up the bars behind you to allow you to jump on the 
girders below. - BraFish 

[9-25] E4M1: The Sewage System
======
#1 - At top of elevator, turn right and shoot the wall with computer 
monitor, revealing yellow armor and quad damage. - Ron Crisco

#2 - In room with biosuit near exit slipgate, above the door is a (+) that
you shoot. This opens a wall just outside this room with a teleporter that
takes you to yellow floorplate near the gold key door. - Ron Crisco

#3 - Just beyond the gold key door, there is a ramp where behind you a wall
opens letting dogs out, a ledge with quad damage is to your left. Above you
are three hanging flourescent lights. Run up the ramp and jump into the 3rd
light. You won't be able to hit the light unless you're running up the ramp
towards it. It will open the way to the quad damage. - Ron Crisco, BraFish

#4 - In the last underwater room before getting to exit slipgate, look up 
and to your left to see a secret room. - Ron Crisco

[9-26] E4M2: The Tower of Despair
======
#1 - In first room, shoot the large red window to reveal knife and push the
knife plate. This lowers bars around super shotgun in that room. - Ron 
Crisco

#2 - After the first room, turn right and go all the way to the end. Shoot
the wall at the end and find a room with Ring of Shadows and another knife 
plate. - Ron Crisco

#3 - Push this knife plate, shoot the door to reopen it and a hole has 
opened in the floor outside with armor, leading to the ledge in the first 
room. - Ron Crisco

#4 - There is a suspended platform with an Ogre in front of another red 
emblem which opens to reveal a passage. To get to this platform you must 
either teleport from another location or jump and navigate some narrow 
beams. If you are navigating these beams , and are in the position to run 
and jump on the suspended platform, turn to your right instead to get to a 
secret area. Jump onto the beam to get health. - Ron Crisco

#5 - After going through the red window from #4, you'll see another knife 
plate. Turn right and shoot the wall to drop in on another secret 
area. - Ron Crisco

[9-27] E4M3: The Elder God Shrine
======
#1 - After you get to the room with the Scrags up aboveand the small pool 
of water around a lift, take the lift up to the higher level. The Scrags 
came from rooms behind the Stained Glass - just walk through the Stained 
Glass to get goodies. - Ron Crisco

#2 - Then take the door to the blue-walled maze. Stay to your right until 
you find a gold star button on the wall. Push this button to lower you to 
a secret room. - Ron Crisco

#3 - In this secret room, underneath the lift which takes you to second 
button is a portal which leads to the red armor that you can see when in 
the scrag room of secret #1. - Ron Crisco

[9-28] E4M4: The Palace of Hate
======
#1 - After going up ramp to first room, shoot the dagger/sun symbol above 
the archway in front of the large red window, then turn around fast to kill
the demon who jumps out at you. Get the pentagram of protection where he 
was hiding. - Ron Crisco

#2 - Through the archway you'll see a small pool of water. Jump into this 
"Healing Pool" for great health and it counts as a secret. - Ron Crisco

#3 - In the maze of blue bricks you'll see a section of the wall lower than
the rest - knights everywhere! On the opposite wall is an identical section
which is still raised. Trigger it by running all the way to the end of the
hall, then toward that section. Ride up then jump off the other side to a 
secret room with quad damage and super nailgun. Teleport from here to the 
ring of shadows just beyond the guillotine. - Ron Crisco

#4 - There is a wooden platform that raises to take you to upper level. 
Trigger that platform and then back up off it and go under it. This leads 
you to red armor that you can see underneath stairs just past this 
platform. - Ron Crisco

#5 - Near silver key is a portal which you can rocket jump into for this 
secret. There is a switch somewhere that will raise a step into the portal, 
but I haven't found it yet. - Ron Crisco

[9-29] E4M5: Hell's Atrium
======
#1 - In the maze of Zombies you'll see a Hell-Knight shooting you from one 
level up. If you have pressed the right switch (I press em all!), you can 
find the elevator which leads up to the level he's on very near where he 
is standing. After going up there, jump in green slime to get pentagram of 
protection. - Ron Crisco

#2 - From the Hell-Knight's position in secret 1, run across the ledges 
you see to get to this secret. First, run left and jump over the break. 
Then turn right and you'll see a wall - go to the left of this wall but 
don't turn, just stay next to wall. Then turn left and jump over break to 
get to secret area. This leads to the opening that you can see later in 
room with wooden arches - from there you can jump on arches for more 
goodies. - Ron Crisco

#3 - In the room behind gold door, step on floorplate in middle of room to 
activate elevator, ride elevator up and shoot red sun symbol to activate 
floor section in front of you. Jump across this to get to secret 
room. - Ron Crisco

#4 - At the end of the level, you need to the silver key to lower a bridge 
to get across to the exit. DON'T activate the bridge. Instead, hop across 
on the sticks sticking out of the lava. (It ain't easy. Save early, save 
often. I've only been able to actually do it once.) Once you're safely 
across turn to your left and you'll see a gigantic door that you need the
silver key to open. (You did bring it with you after all that didn't you?) 
It takes you to the Secret Level E4M8. - BraFish

[9-30] E4M8: The Nameless City (Secret Level)
======
#1 - Follow the passage that starts underneath the platform with the gold 
key on it. Take the passage that goes to the right and follow it up the 
small ramp. Just to the right, you'll see a button on a wall over a 
passage. Run and jump to press the button. This will open up a wall with 
zombies. Just past where the zombies are is a platform that will take you
up to a small room with a shambler. Jump down the small hole in the room, 
and it will drop you onto a small ledge which leads you to the red armor. 
Whew! - BraFish

#2 - In the room that the ramp leads to from #1, there is a large hole that 
overlooks another hole with a small ledge around it. Jump to the ledge and 
look down. You should see some water at the bottom, but a small ledge with 
some health (and a Quad!) half-way down. Jump to the small ledge and get 
the goodies. - BraFish

#3 - Jump down into the water after secret #2. Press the button on the 
right side of the room to lower the walkway into an elevator. Ride the 
walkway up to the rest of them. Jump into the square cage in the middle of 
the room. Activate the button inside. The cage will lower into a room 
filled with zombies. Shoot the switch on the wall to get out. Follow the 
passageway out of the dark room and press the switch at the end to activate 
the elevator. Ride the platform up to the top and jump through the window. 
Follow the short passageway until you can see the gold key in front of you.
Jump to get the gold key. Hop down and go to the gold doors at the end of 
the long hall. Go inside and collect. I know what you're thinking, all that 
for that?? - BraFish

#4 - After entering the silver door, turn right and go up the ramp. Kill 
the zombies below the mesh. To get under there, you can drop down through 
one of the triangle shaped openings. Press the button to get out. - BraFish

EXTRA - At the ledge overlooking the hole from secret #2, shoot the wall 
with the same texture as the floor. It opens to a room with a few odds and 
ends. - BraFish

[9-31] E4M6: The Pain Maze
======
#1 - In room that you drop down into from beginning, look behind the blue 
columns to find a star push plate. This reveals a room and elevator in 
front of you. - Ron Crisco

#2 - After leaving the altar room, jump into the little pool just outside 
of the "church". If you keep an eye on the ceiling as you wander down the 
passageway underwater. There is a small strip where you can go up to not 
only take a breather, but also pick up the biosuit and some other 
items. - BraFish

#3 - In the room with portal at top of room, wooden beams in middle and 
moat all around, there is red armor near the top on a ledge. Pushing the 
right star plate in one of the hallways leading to this room activates the 
elevator up to the portal. The portal takes you to the highest wooden beam 
in this room where you can jump over to get the armor (which is the 
secret). - Ron Crisco

#4 - In the same room as secret #3, underneath the main elevator (activated 
by the gold key) is a secret room. To get there, shoot the greenish colored 
wall underneath the water. - BraFish

[9-32] E4M7: Azure Agony
======
#1 - You'll run after a Quad Damage and be dropped into slime. You'll see a 
portal as exit, but run to the right instead to find a second portal. This 
takes you to red armor. - Ron Crisco

#2 - In the big room with the cross of land, and water at the sides, go 
into the water and shoot the wall underneath the area where the 666 Armor 
was, it will open a section where a small stash is kept. - BraFish

#3 - Also in that same area under water, shoot the wall underneath the area 
where the Quad damage was. It will open a portal. - Ron Crisco, BraFish

#4 - Getting to the area through portal from #3 is counted as another 
secret. - Ron Crisco

#5 - From the ledge in #4, look down and to the left, you'll see a slot 
that you can see through. (And hear a vore on the other side). Shoot inside 
to kill the vore and activate a button, to let you in. - BraFish

#6 - Jumping down from #4 counts again. It can also be accessed by shooting 
a switch underneath a staircase nearby, which then raises to that 
ledge. - Ron Crisco

#7 - There is a button underneath the water that opens a secret area near 
the biosuit in the area of "red bricks". - Ron Crisco
    
#8 - The same area as #6 has a darkened area just ahead of secret #4. There 
are two brightened spots there. Shoot one of them to open a door. - BraFish

#9 - Shoot the other as secret #8 to open a symetric door. - BraFish

====
[10] Hints and Tips
====

[10-1] How do I kill the boss on episode one?
=====
     Fry the son of a bitch! Shooting him/her/it is a waste of time, I'm 
sure that it doesn't take damage in this way. Instead, catch the lift to 
the top platforms, and run around, making sure you run over the 
floorplates. If you run over both of them, two large columns will descend 
to the height of the boss. Press the central floorplate to electrocute him.
     Note: On easy skill level, one electrocution will kill it. On normal,
hard, and nightmare skill levels, three electrocutions will do it. 
     You should also remember that as you increase skill levels, the bosses
'lava balls' (hmmmmmmm) get closer and closer. In other words, on hard 
skill level the boss will hit you more times.

*10-2* How do I cheat?
======
As hinted by id in the quake manual, you can cheat in Quake. As of now the 
known cheats are:

     GOD         - makes you invincible
     NOTARGET    - makes monster oblivious to you unless you shoot at them. 
     FLY         - lets you fly through the levels
     NOCLIP      - Same as DOOM. Lets you walk through walls. Good for 
		   finding secrets. Use the [D] and [C] keys to move up and
		   down.
     IMPULSE 9   - All weapons (including the thunderbolt, which *is* in 
		   the shareware version!) and full ammo.
     IMPULSE 255 - Quad Damage upgrade
     GIVE #      - Give weapon #
     GIVE H #    - Give # of health
     GIVE S #    - Give # of shells
     GIVE R #    - Give # of rockets
     GIVE C #    - Give # of cells
     GIVE N #    - Give # of nails

     You type all of the above cheats directly into the console [~].

[10-3] How do I kill Shamblers?
======
     The best way to kill these is to run round them in circles, or strafe
left and right non-stop. The shambler won't be able to get a clear shot at
you. I personally prefer to hide behide a big stone (not in real life!) and
then jump out and fire a few rockets off, before jumping back behind the
stone.
     Another, safer way to kill these is to use the SuperNailgun. It can 
kill them fast, and also makes it harder for them to shoot you.

[10-4] Problems killing Scrags...
======
     If you're new to Quake, or have played Duke Nukem 3D, then this won't 
be a problem for you... but if you have come from playing DOOM to playing 
Quake, then you could be in for some learning difficulties. Many DOOM 
players forget about the look up and down keys [A] and [Z], and get killed 
by Scrags. The best way to combat this is to experiment in the skill 
selection hall, or to turn a cheat on and practice moving around and 
shooting whilst looking up and down.

====
[11] Deathmatch tactics
====
     NOTE: Please, please, please send me your multiplayer stories, tips 
and tactics. I want this section to be BIG.

[11-1] Don't walk!
======
     Argh!!! I can't believe the number of people who just *walk* around 
the levels in Quake!!! Walking speed in Quake is slower than walking speed 
in DOOM, and I never walked in deathmatch DOOM, so walking in Quake is 
really dumb! I really laugh when I see someone walking along... its as if 
they're out for a walk or something, not out to kill... <sigh>

[11-2] Don't taunt your opponent before hand
======
     This 'tactic' is the same for all multiplayer games. Consider the
following scenario between three players about to play deathmatch:

     Bill: Ahh man, I'm gonna kick *both* your asses!
     Fred: Dream on, I finished Quake on Nightmare without dying once!
     Mike: Ok, well lets just play guys...
     Bill: Sure... hahha... prepare to die!
     Fred: In your dreams, punk!

One hour later:

     Mike: Hahhaha, I won...
     Fred: Next time...
     Bill: I wan't my mummy... 

     See what I mean? It makes you look *really* lame! Boasting then 
getting your ass kicked is just pathetic! If you are the best player in the
world at Quake, then keep it yourself... the others in the game will think 
you are a newbie and go for you straight away... Surprise them :)
     Winning after not boasting is cool. Do it. Surprisingly, I have seen 
less people boast about their Quake playing abilities, than people did 
about their Duke Nukem 3D playing abilities... surprising, as I did 
actually find Duke (shareware version) harder than Quake (shareware 
version). Maybe Quake players got their asses kicked in Duke, and want to 
keep quiet <g>. Then again, maybe not.....

[11-3] Develop Routine
======
Dragon Slayer ([email-masked])
     I always memorize the location of the good items in a level then 
develop a quickest route to gather them all up (eg. E1M2, get the yellow 
armour, jump into the water below, teleport, jump into water, go get the 
rocket launcher), in a mater of few seconds I have all the good stuff on 
the level. An effective soldier need effective tools ... quick.

[11-4] Take up a good firing position before attacking
======
Dragon Slayer [email-masked])
     When I spot an opponent I always check if there's any health around 
and run near it, THEN I turn and fire. Most of time the extra 25% health 
can make you win the dual. Also if you are powerfully equiped, it's a good 
time to set an ambush around yellow armour, Quad damage, or rocket 
launchers. You can't imagine how many players rush into your gunsight right
after they respawn, poorly armed and unarmoured of course :) I used to take
out 5 players in a row like this. (... am I contradicting myself with the 
point I mentioned in [11-3]?) :)

[11-5] Know your opponent
======
Dragon Slayer [email-masked])
     Always take note to those deathmatch GODs, if you see a 56 kills guy 
on the scoreboard, and everyone else has only 10 kills ... don't fight 
him... he might be the owner of the server and run smoothly while you are 
playing at a frame rate of Myst...
     Note from Toby: Not playing someone because they are good is a bit
lame. If their ping is the same as yours and they are winning, they *are*
better. If their ping is much less, they have an advantage. Type 'PING' at
the console whilst in a multiplayer game to list everyones ping times.

====
[12] Cooperative tactics
====

[12-1] Work together
======
     Remember, you *are* on the same side! Share ammo and power-ups. Don't
rush forward and grab all the power-ups, and leave all your allies on 10
health. Thats really lame. You should also remember that these guys *are* 
your friends. Its easy to fall out with a friend over a game of Quake, it 
happened to me in DOOM a few times.
     When attacking monsters don't cower behind the other players, run up 
front and get involved. Laying back till everyone dies, then finishing the 
level, is really stupid. It also makes you look like a lame player (which 
you are if you do that). The exception to this rule is if you have very low
health (40% or less) or/and only the axe.
     If you and your friends *do* rush up and attack, killing monsters is a
lot easier. Four players should have no problem killing a shambler, and 
even two players will be able to do well. Make sure you are on opposite 
sides of the creature, each blasting inwards. Note: Don't be silly and 
stand opposite each other with, say, a grunt in the middle, firing rockets 
at it. You will all die.

[12-2] Carnage!
======
     MephistoX gave me this idea, kind of. He said on that he and his 
friends play four (or so) player coop on Quake, each not caring about their
own lives. Ie, running around blasting the hell out of everything with 
rockets. Note: everything *includes* your coop allies! Remember to ask 
everyone if this how you want to play, before doing this!
     I remember well the days I spent on coop DOOM, playing against each
other! We would start out playing together, but half way through would say, 
sod it, all against all. The cool thing is you always started in the same
place! There was bodies everywhere... that was *fun*! A couple of days 
later I told him that if you press F12 then you can see through your allies
eyes. God was he mad... :) Note: I know I just contradicted what I said. I
said don't cheat but did in DOOM. Heres my defence: a) I was young(er), 
b) It was fun, and most importantly c) We agreed it in advance (er,
probably). Thank you :).

====
[13] Zer0's guide to excellent Quakematch V.1
====
     Zer0 (Nathan Rice) has made this rather good guide to deathmatching in
Quake... Well worth a read before embarking on a deathmatch session.
     Note: Section [13] is a US spelling zone... watch out.

[13-1] Llamah Stuff
======
     If you are a seasoned Quake player, you should not need this
section, but you might want to take a quick look anyway...

A.[What controller should I use for quake?]

     Mouse, mouse, mouse... you keyboarders think you have the
time to slowly turn/look up and down, but you really don't.  Besides the
fact that the keyticks in quake are very large, making keyboard turning
very choppy(you can remedy this by setting cl_yawspeed to some
lower number like 60, though turning will be SLOW), you also lose
valuable time.  While you are taking in your surroundings, the mouse
player has already taken in his surroundings, and is laying his sites 
down on you.  the mousetics in quake are very accurate compared to the
keyboard, and the mouser can flick, and circlestrafe.  The mouser can
circle around the keyboarder faster than the keyboarder can turn.  The
keyboard has *no* advantages over the mouse. 
	All of this also applies to users of the joystick, gamepad,
steering wheel(god forbid), though the trackball is a good controller,
second only to the mouse.

B.[I never even come close to winning a game of Quake over the
Internet.  Do I suck?]

	Probably yes, but maybe not as much as you think.  If the other
players in the game just seem to always hit, or if they Dodge around 
like Emmit Smith, they may have lower latency than you.  To determine 
this, type "ping" at the console... It will show a list of the ping times 
for each player.  if theirs are much lower than yours, they have good
connections, and you just might not suck.  If yours are above 350ms,
you should switch to a different server, as the one you are on now is
causing you to lag.  If most of the other players have similar pings, 
then you suck, and need to play quake more :).

C.[What video mode should I play Quake at?]

	A low vesa or x mode.  On a P60-100, this is vesa mode 1 or
mode 0.  On a p120-166, You can get by on modes 1-3, and a few
low vesa modes.  The important thing is to get over 35 frames a
second, without reducing the size of your screen.  the increased
smoothness of play is well worth the loss of resolution.

D.[I have a 14.4.  Can I play Quake over the internet?]

	Yes.  It isn't really "playing" Because you will never get a 
good game.  A 14.4 just can't handle all of the data that quake sends 
out under sys_ticrate .05.  I believe that a 14.4 will get much better 
games under sys_ticrate .1 or higher, if you are able to find a server 
that uses it.

[13-2] The Weapons
======
A.[The Axe]
     Rating:*  This is your fallback weapon, and a pretty crappy one
at that. I feel sorry for you if you are stuck with it.
     The only way to use this is to circle in on your opponent, and
when you are close, axe him once or twice, then dodge away, and start
circling in again. If your opponent has the Nailgun, don't even bother. 
Run away like a good boy.  There is no way in hell you are going to kill
him.

B.[The Shotgun]
     Rating:***  This is actually one of the best long distance guns,
although it lacks a real bite.  It is an excellent sniping weapon, and 
it is
quick.
     If you start taking shots from a distance, your opponent is 
going to move to close the distance.  You have to outmove him or you are
going to be dead meat.  most opponents will just charge you blindly. 
the best thing to do in situations like this is to strafe one direction 
till he turns to follow you, at which point you  start strafing in the 
opposite direction. that will give you some distance, and you can start 
taking shots at him again.

C.[The Super Shotgun]
     Rating:***1/2  This weapon packs quite a punch, and very
effective against all of the other weapons.  It is extremely effective 
in close range, but loses it's punch quickly as the range increases.  
Thus, you should always engage at close range.  Don't waste your 
surprise trying to get a long distance hit off.
     The best tactic with this gun is to circle in on an opponent, 
and hit him as you are circling.  If he is too elusive to get a good 
shot on, try and bump into him, shoot him, then dodge away quickly.  
This tactic works well against all guns, except the Super Nailgun.  The 
only tactic against the Super Nailgun is to be elusive till he runs out 
of ammo, taking an occasional potshot when you have the chance.

E.[The Nailgun]
     Rating:***  This weapon functions much like the Chaingun in
Doom.  it is stronger than the shotgun, but it is still no match for 
most of the other weapons.  It is good against elusive opponents, 
however, and is great for doing that last little but of damage.         
The best tactic with this weapon is to strafe left and right from about 
10-20 feet away while spraying nails.  You should be able to kill your 
opponent even if he is elusive, as long as you have to 150-200 nails.
     If  your opponent has a Shotgun or Axe, your best bet is to
charge your opponent and nail them point blank.  You should kill them
very quickly.  This method costs a little life, but it is very ammo
conserving. 

E.[The Super Nailgun]
     Rating:****1/2  This is an excellent weapon.  It eats ammo fast
and kills faster.  If  you have played Doom deathmatch, use this sucker
just like you did the Plasma gun.
     The best tactic with this weapon is to charge the opponent, and
when you get close enough, unload on him.  This kills people real quick,
and is ammo conserving, though you will take a little damage.
     Another good tactic with this weapon is to start shooting nails,
and strafe left and right in a tight pattern.  This makes the nails
impossible to dodge completely, and will kill your opponent with
minimal damage to you, but will empty your nail reserve completely.
     This weapon, like the rocket launcher, is quite effective as
suppressing fire.  Turn a corner and fire it back the way you came.  The
opponent will stomp, not waning to be hosed down.  Fire a few shots
ever once in a while to keep the opponent sitting there.  then charge
your opponent quickly.  He will likely be completely off guard, so he
will be dumbfounded when you turn the corner and run him over.

F.[Grenade Launcher]
     Rating:****1/2  This is one hell of a cool weapon, and it will 
do you well to learn how to use it right.  This is the most versatile 
weapon in the game.  This weapon is even better at corner fishing than 
the rocket launcher.
    Ever play pool (snooker for the British out there)?  Yes?  Then
you have the idea already.  The quake grenades act just like a Cue Ball. 
you can use this weapon  to get rid of people on higher/lower platforms
with almost no risk, and you can remove people from their corner hiding
places.
     If somebody charges you, trying to make you eat your own
explosion, the best tactic is to lay a few grenades on the ground just 
far away from you not to hurt.  The charging guy will run right into the 
blast 99.9% of the time.
     If somebody is picking you off at long range, feel free to run
around a corner.  The idiot WILL follow you, unless he was almost out
of ammo or health.  If he does follow, serve some pineapple.  Boy, will
he feel stupid.
		
G.[Rocket Launcher]
     Rating:*****  This is easily the best weapon in shareware
Quake. Obviously, this weapon is best used at long range, due to it's
large blast radius, though it can be VERY effective close in too.  The
trick is knowing how to use it.
     Realize that, unlike doom, you can look up and down now. 
This means that you can aim missiles at their feet...This makes them
VERY hard to dodge.  I play a lot of people who are about 15 feet
away and they aim it directly at me.  They should aim it at
my feet, or the ceiling if it is low enough. This is especially 
applicable if somebody is rushing you, trying to get you to suicide.  
people can dodge a missile well enough, but most people will walk right 
into an explosion if you set it at their feet.
     Most people don't realize that the rocket launcher can hit
enemies that are out of your range of site.  It is actually very good at
this.  Say for example an enemy is hiding around a corner, launch
missiles at the wall near that corner continuously till he is dead.  He 
will not be able to get away because the blast will knock him into the
corner.  Dead Duck.
     The missile launcher makes a great chance killer too.  unless
you are almost out of ammo, shooting a missile or two into an area that
is passed through frequently passed through is a great way to net
yourself a lot of free frags
     Most people never realize this, but the missile launcher makes
great suppressing fire.  If somebody with the Quad damage powerup is
chasing you, round a corner, then turn a quick 180 and toss some
rockets at the corner.  If the fool doesn't walk into them
thinking he's invincible, he will either sit there or go away.  launch a
missile off every once in a while till you know the quad damage has
worn off, or you think he is gone.  Then round the corner.  If the fool 
is still there, make him pay for wasting your precious ammo.

[13-3] The Artifacts
======
     Just some strategies for use with the artifacts.

A.[Ring of Shadows]
     This sucker is kind of lame... the floating eyes stand out more
than a player with a brown uniform does.  If you have this item, don't
think that people don't see you... they do. you are easy to see.  the 
only use is to have it in the middle of a frag fest.  People will be so 
busy fragging, they might not notice you (hopefully).

B.[Quake Power]
     This thing is totally fucking insane!  If you get this sucker, 
first thing you should do is switch from an explosive weapon to a 
Nailgun if you have one, shotgun if not. With a Nailgun, prepare for 
frags galore! Be careful not to think you are invincible with this thing, 
though.
     You can tell if somebody has this, because the aura of light 
they emit will be blue.

C.[Pentagram of Protection]
     This is pretty good, though people tend to run away from you
when you have it.  the idea is to use it to kill that guy hoarding the 
ammo so you can become that guy. also, if you have a missile launcher 
and a lot of ammo, just get in the middle of the action and
spray missiles everywhere...you will get a shit load of frags.  As a
general rule, you should not sit around when you have this thing. 
nothing can hurt you...Take advantage of that.
     You can tell if somebody has this by the fact that the aura of
light they emit is yellow.

D.[Biosuit]
     This sucker has almost no use in deathmatch, Except maybe
some neat water stalking.

[13-4] Player Archetypes
======
     In this chapter, I will discuss the various player archetypes 
and how to exploit their weaknesses.

A.[The Lurker]
     This annoying fellow will generally sit near a big cache of
weapons, armor or health, kill anybody who comes looking for them. 
He is usually pretty tough to kill, seeing as he's been sitting on a 
load of something.  You are in trouble if you happen on him unready.  If 
he is in the lead (which is unusual for a lurker) then you are in for a 
real treat.
     The best way to kill off a lurker is to get some firepower, then
find a subject, and either chase him or let him chase you into the 
lurker's area.  If you are chasing, stop persuing after your prey has 
entered the lurkers area.  as soon as you hear signs of a conflict, run 
in and unload on the lurker.  He will knuckle under the pressure of two 
opponents, either running away, or chewing on a boomstick..  now you can 
make short work of the guy you chased in.  If you got chased in, as soon 
as you get the lurker after you, turn around and run strait at the guy 
that was chasing you, circle around him and scramble off into the 
shadows as quickly as possible.  the lurker and the guy that chased you 
will get into it, and you can start shooting whoever you think is going 
to win. One will die, and the other will be easy pickings, even for a 
shotgun bravado.
     If you are all alone with this guy, your are probably not having
very much fun.  Tell him to stop lurking and come out and fight.  If he
refuses, put him in his place.  Run around the level collecting all the
health and armor you can, and get an explosive weapon, preferable the
grenade launcher(it's corner rounding abilities are invaluable against
lurkers).  Find a spot where you can bounce a grenade or 10 on top of
him without being in his field of site.  he will come out and attack 
you. Switch to super/Nailgun and get ready to dodge some missiles at 
point blank.  At worst you will die, but he will be low on health.  You 
should be able to kill him though, if any of your grenades hit.

B.[Pattern Runner]
     This is the guy who runs in a preset pattern around the level,
trying to collect all the choice goodies as he goes.
     This guy usually has the spawning of the items timed so that he
gets them almost as soon as they respawn.  This guy can be almost
impossible if he has the pattern perfected.  The only way to break him
out of the patter is to grab the most important item in the cycle, and 
kill him before he recovers from you breaking his pattern.  This is 
difficult though, because he has usually gotten quite powerful from all 
of the other items in the pattern.  If he is getting to the items a 
while after they resawn, you can try and jump ahead of him in the 
pattern.  This always works, but a good pattern runner won't be late to 
get the items.  A good pattern runner has the timing down to a matter of 
seconds.

C.[Frag-a-thoner]
     This is the type of player who grabs the nearest good weapon
upon respawning, and goes on a killing rampage, trying to annihilate
anything that moves, getting better weapons and ammo from victims. 
The best way to take care of this guy is to stalk him till he attacks
somebody else, then pounce on him quickly, while he's busy.  He will
fall quickly, as Frag-a-thoners don't tend to stock up on armor if it is
out of their way.  If you are with this guy by yourself, get him to 
chase you to an area where he can't dodge around, then unload on him 
with whatever you have.  

D.[Sniper]
     These guys main strategy is to get an explosive weapons and
camp in a hard to hit spot raining grenades or missiles down on your
head. These guys are annoying.  I find the best strategy against them is
to ignore them, or wait them out.  They have to come out for more
ammo sooner or later, and when they do,  load them full of buckshot. 
Snipers tend to have very poor engagement skills, which is the main
reason that they snipe in the first place.

E.[Cautious Type]
     This type is similar to a frag-a-thoner, but he retreats from
battles if he takes too much damage, and runs off to find health.  Also,
the cautious type is more likely to run halfway across the level to get
armor. Although these guys are not normally too hard, if you are having
trouble you can kill this guy the same way you kill a frag-a-thoner, by
stalking him till he gets in a fight, then backstabbing him.
     By yourself, lead this guy by pretending to be hurt and not
having any ammo.  Run away, then as soon as you turn a corner, switch
to rocket and as you see him, unload.

F.[Camper]
     These guys are pretty easy, usually.  They just sit near
deathmatch respawn spots with a weapon, and try to kill whoever
respawns there.  Usually you can sneak up on these guys, because they
don't pay attention surroundings.  Not only that, but they will rarely 
get many frags, because they don't hunt people, get armor or ammo...They
just sit there. 

[13-5] The Levels
======
     These are deathmatch strategies for all of the shareware levels. 
They are the best I know of.  This section will be updated with
registered levels after the full release, barring time constraints. 
**notice**Please feel free to ignore the cheese factor if You are 
playing old-style deathmatch.  I highly recommend old style deathmatch,
because it ensures a more fair game.  You are free to play any way you
wish. **end of notice**

     Cheese Factor:  Refers to how abusable a level is.  A level that
scores high in this category has poorly placed weapons/items, allowing
one person to rack up large amounts of frags unfairly using
artifacts/weapons, or get excessive health/armor repeatedly.

     Fun Factor:  Refers to how good I think a level is for
deathmatch.  Personal tastes vary, so you may enjoy a level more than I
and my compatriots do. 

A.[Start]
     Cheese Factor:****  This level is insanely cheesy.  There is a
disgusting loop.  All you have to do is get the 200% armor in the water
in the empisode 4 pathway, then teleport through the nightmare gate and
get the +100% health and  Quad damage, and you are sitting pretty for
as long as you keep anybody else from getting it.  Nobody else will
even come close.

     Fun Factor:**1/2  This level is intense and fun, though the
missile launcher and grenade launcher do spoil it a bit.  It is VERY
intense in the inner area, and the outer area usually has one or two
people in it, so you do get some variety.

B.[The Slipgate Complex]
     Cheese Factor:****  Any level where one person can have the
Quad damage and Pentagram of protection is broken.  Aside from that,
there are 2 very good sniping spots, one being the area with the
Pentagram of protection, the other being  the doorway to the
rocket launcher room.  Also, being able to get +100% health and 100%
armor makes you very
hard to kill.

     Fun Factor:***1/2  This level is very crazy...with anything over
8 people, this level is nonstop carnage.  It isn't as mindless as e1m6
though, so I find it fun.

C.[The Castle of the Damned]

     Cheese Factor:****  This level is very cheesy, though the
powerups are distributed enough to prevent one person from hoarding
all of them.  There are two ways of cheesing this level, though if you 
are fast, you can do them both at the same time.
     One way of cheesing the level is to get the +100% health and
super Nailgun, then run up and get the quad damage and frag the hell
out of everybody.  you can just keep going back and forth and getting
all of the health and Nailgun ammo.  With the Quad damage powerup,
nothing can stand up to you.
     The other way is to get the 150% armor and grenade launcher,
then get the quake power.  BE VERY CAREFUL.  if you walk
anywhere near the blast from one of your grenades, you are gonna eat a
big 'ole plate of  pineapple.  NOTHING stands up to a Quad damage
grenade though, so you should be able to get some hefty frags in.

     Fun Factor:****  This level is pretty darn fun.  There is a nice
flow to the action, and the underwater play is neat.  There are not
enough traps, but there are some nice ambush points, and some nice
pileups occur in the Quad damage area, the grenade launcher
room and the area with the 2 teleporters.  Some of the respawn spots
are not as ideal as I would like, though all of them have something good
nearby. 

D.[Necropolis]
     Cheese Factor:*1/2  This is a very balanced level, except for
one loop, which is kind of separated from the rest of the level, making 
it hard to get repeatedly.      
     First, get the 150% armor near the end of the
level, then teleport to the Super Nailgun and ammo.  Get those, then
drop down and either take the teleporter to the end of the level, or 
ride the elevator up.  When you get to the top, teleport to the 
beginning of the level and frag away!
     Also, If there is nobody already there, drop down and get the
rocket launcher.  There is ample health in the hallway at the north end 
of the pit to keep you alive as long as the action doesn't get too 
heavy.

     Fun Factor:*****  This level is a real rush.  The action comes
anyway you like it, hot and heavy or slow and suspenseful.  The watery
pit hosts the most intense moshes I have ever been in, and there are not
many spots where a sniper can sit and ruin your day.  The level is just
linear enough to keep the action coming, but not enough to make it a
slaughter.  The weapons are evenly distributed so that you should
always be able to get a weapon, if you don't mind running away from a
fight.  The respawn areas are all within quick distance of  pileup 
spots, and most of them have a weapon situated nearby. 

E.[Grisly Grotto]
     Cheese factor:1/2  This level is almost cheese free.  The only
cheesy thing about this level is the two 150% armors, which could be
hoarded.  

     Fun Factor:***  This level is fun, the architecture is nifty, and it
is well balanced.  There is some neat underwater killing, and the big
outdoor area near the exit has some nice pileups.  This level isn't
extremely exciting though, mainly because all of the fun weapons are
nowhere near the fighting.  Also, a lot of the respawn spots are very
separated from the action, so it isn't as constant as it should be.

F.[Gloom Keep]
     Cheese Factor:*****  This level brings a new meaning to
cheese.  There are two techniques to totally dominate this level
     The first is to go to area with the super Nailgun, 150% armor
and health and get all of it, then go get the Quad damage.  From there,
run around like a madman with the Super Nailgun, fragging the hell out
of people.  when the Quad damage wears off, go back to the area
where you got the Super Nailgun and armor, and start all over again.
     The other is to get a cache of explosives and ride the elevator 
to the top level of the three tiered room.  any time you hear or see
somebody on a lower tier, lob some grenades their way. If somebody
gets brave enough to ride the elevator up your way, drop a few
grenades down the chute...nobody will be stupid enough to try it a
second time...If the missile launcher spawns, jump down and pick it up,
then ride the elevator back up.  you do take some damage from people
trying to pick you off with shotgun and Nailgun, so every once and a
while drop down to the exit and get the health and green armor, then
teleport to the bottom of the pit and grab the health, then ride the
elevator back to the top.

     Fun Factor:****  Despite the cheese, this level is quite fun. 
This level offers great variety.  The pit hosts some fantastic pileups, 
while there is enough room to stalk, lurk, snipe or whatever fills your
heart with joy.  I especially enjoy how you can lure other players into
traps.  The respawn spots in this one are all good, and some of them
drop you right into the middle of a warzone.

G.[Door to Cthon]
     Cheese Factor:*1/2  There is no way of heavily cheesing this
level.  The only really cheesy thing you can do in this level  is to 
keep running back to the end room with the 150% armor, Super Nailgun,
nails and 25% health.  That is not extremely unfair though.

     Fun Factor:***1/2  This level is very cramped, and makes for
and intense frag fest.  I do enjoy it, but it can be annoying because a 
lot of times it seems like you kill a guy. another guy respawns right in 
front of you, and kills you. You respawn and kill another guy you just 
missed telefragging.  That is fun, but a bit TOO mindless for me.

H.[House of Cthon]
     Cheese Factor:*****  This level is ridiculously unfair.  There 
is a ledge with 4 health boxes, a missile launcher, a grenade launcher 
and 2 boxes of missiles.  If  you happen to gain control of this ledge, 
you are set.  there are 3 ways to get to this ledge...2 narrow walkways 
and an elevator.  Anybody attempting to cross the ledges is dead meat if 
you have a decent missile hand, as there is no room to dodge. even if 
you don't kill them, you have a 50/50 chance of knocking them into the 
lava.  The elevator makes an obvious noise which alerts you the fact 
that somebody is coming up to get you.  Take that noise as a cue to lob 
4 or 5 grenades down the chute.  The only thing you have to worry about 
is people respawning on a higher ledge and jumping down at you.  If this
happens, my advice is to hit them with a missile quickly, even if it 
means eating some backlash, because while you are trying to get a clean 
shot off, other people will be coming to get you.

     Fun Factor:*1/2  Besides the fact that this level is extremely
cheesable, it is also very, VERY repetitive.  It is NOT my idea of fun 
to run around a big circle for 100 frags.  I do like some suspense and
stalking.  Also, in internet play,  this level seems to cause a lot of 
people to lag severely, which is no fun.
 
I.[Ziggurat Vertigo]
     Cheese Factor:***1/2  This level is fairly cheesable.  There 
are 2 pentagrams of protection, which reduce the problem somewhat, but
the level is still unfair at times.  There are 2 main ways of  cheesing 
this level.
     The first way is to ride the elevator to the top section of the
level, where the yellow armor, health and the rocket launcher are.  Get
all of those things, then drop down to the ledge with the Pentagram of
protection is.  from here you have a nice spot to snipe if that is your
thing.  I  recommend dropping down and fragging the hell out of
whoever you see though...that is more fun, and people tend to react
violently to snipers.  Don't be surprised if the whole server gangs
up on you if you do this too much.
     The second way is to lurk in the corner near the elevator, on 
the ledge with the rocket launcher, and frag anybody who passes you by. 
There is adequate health on the ledge and nearby areas to keep your
health up if you are a good shot, and a Pentagram of protection on a
ledge across the room which you should be able to pick up each time it
spawns. This spot will draw a lot of fire to you though, as people 
realize where you are, and it really isn't very protected.  Eventually 
several people WILL gang up and kill you.

     Fun Factor:***  This level is fun, but the slow play due to the
low gravity makes it somewhat less exciting than normal play.  also, the
architecture tends to prevent pile-ups, which I don't like...I like 8
person mosh pits.

[13-6] Your Config
======
     Your config file is an integral part of your deathmatch.  The
better your setup and aliases, the faster your character will move, and
the better you will do.  Put a lot of work into your config... it will
separate you from the rest of the pack... learn to script in quake
console.  It helps a lot.
     This is my config, for anybody who wants it... I think it is very
good.  notice that mlook is permanently bound.  I see no need to waste
a key on something  that will work perfectly well locked.  Also of note
is snap180, a buggy little alias that allows you to do an instant near 
180, an alias, pw, that will allow you to cycle weapons in reverse 
order, and an extensive server alias list.

+mlook
weaponload

bind alt wideview
bind ctrl pw
bind a sniper
bind s ax
bind d ml
bind 1 weapon1
bind 2 weapon2
bind 3 weapon3
bind 4 weapon4
bind 5 weapon5
bind 6 weapon6
bind 7 weapon7
bind 8 weapon8
bind 9 "impulse 9"
bind 0 god
bind q "impulse 255"
bind f snap180

alias bigmac "connect 206.86.0.22"
alias quake101 "connect 156.46.216.101"
alias quaker "connect 206.150.173.169"
alias fiction "connect 36.181.0.18"
alias alien "connect 128.95.252.38"
alias yevaud "connect 164.107.128.50" 
alias pit_o_death "connect 128.164.136.171"
alias nano "connect 146.227.102.101"
alias netertainment "connect 205.217.6.16"
alias widget "connect 128.187.30.168"
alias maglnxquake "connect 205.218.113.2"
alias phaedo "connect 138.40.88.223"
alias disruptor "connect 204.50.178.136"
alias sage "connect 198.82.204.43"
alias freebsd "connect 199.67.51.101"
alias majestic "connect 199.67.51.101"
alias crenshaw "connect 205.156.208.76"
alias the_world_ship "connect 205.156.208.75"
alias brain "connect 204.176.82.15"
alias xray "connect 129.120.3.44"
alias sgeertgens "connect 140.172.37.122"
alias aftershock "connect 194.72.76.106"
alias cytrix "connect 192.77.186.4"
alias hansolo "connect 128.210.1.32"
alias deathstar "204.97.180.46"
alias singe "connect 128.95.25.105"
alias quake1 "connect 204.43.32.24"
alias quake2 "connect 204.43.34.51"

alias ax ax2
alias ml ml2
alias sniper sniper1
alias pw pw1
alias pw1 weapon1
alias pw2 weapon2
alias pw3 weapon3
alias pw4 weapon4
alias pw5 weapon5
alias pw6 weapon6
alias pw7 weapon7
alias pw8 weapon8

alias snap180 "cl_yawspeed
2900;wait;+left;wait;wait;wait;-left;cl_yawspeed 140"
alias sniper0 "fov 10;wait;fov 20;wait;fov 30;wait;fov 40;wait;fov
50;wait;fov 60;wait;fov
70;wait;fov 80;wait;fov 90;sensitivity 10;alias sniper sniper1"
alias sniper1 "fov 85;wait;fov 80;wait;fov 75;wait;fov 70;wait;fov
65;wait;fov 60;wait;fov
55;wait;fov 50;sensitivity 5;alias sniper sniper2"
alias sniper2 "fov 45;wait;fov 40;wait;fov 35;wait;fov 30;wait;fov
25;wait;fov 20;wait;fov
15;wait;fov 10;sensitivity 2.5;alias sniper sniper0"

alias weaponload "impulse 1;impulse 8;impulse 7;impulse 6;impulse
5;impulse 4;impulse 3;impulse 2"
alias weapon1 "impulse 1;alias ml ml1;alias pw pw8"
alias weapon2 "impulse 2;alias ml ml2;alias ax ax2;alias pw pw1"
alias weapon3 "impulse 3;alias ml ml3;alias ax ax3;alias pw pw2"
alias weapon4 "impulse 4;alias ml ml4;alias ax ax4;alias pw pw3"
alias weapon5 "impulse 5;alias ml ml5;alias ax ax5;alias pw pw4"
alias weapon6 "impulse 6;alias ml ml6;alias ax ax6;alias pw pw5"
alias weapon7 "impulse 7;alias ax ax7;alias pw pw6"
alias weapon8 "impulse 8;alias ml ml8;alias ax ax8;alias pw pw7"

alias wideview fovout
alias fovout "fov 130;alias wideview fovin"
alias fovin "fov 90;alias wideview fovout"

alias ml1 "impulse 7;wait;+attack;wait;-attack;impulse 1"
alias ml2 "impulse 7;wait;+attack;wait;-attack;impulse 2"
alias ml3 "impulse 7;wait;+attack;wait;-attack;impulse 3"
alias ml4 "impulse 7;wait;+attack;wait;-attack;impulse 4"
alias ml5 "impulse 7;wait;+attack;wait;-attack;impulse 5"
alias ml6 "impulse 7;wait;+attack;wait;-attack;impulse 6"
alias ml8 "impulse 7;wait;+attack;wait;-attack;impulse 8"
alias ax2 "impulse 1;wait;+attack;wait;-attack;impulse 2"
alias ax3 "impulse 1;wait;+attack;wait;-attack;impulse 3"
alias ax4 "impulse 1;wait;+attack;wait;-attack;impulse 4"
alias ax5 "impulse 1;wait;+attack;wait;-attack;impulse 5"
alias ax6 "impulse 1;wait;+attack;wait;-attack;impulse 6"
alias ax7 "impulse 1;wait;+attack;wait;-attack;impulse 7"
alias ax8 "impulse 1;wait;+attack;wait;-attack;impulse 8"

[13-7] Who to look out for
======
     This section is dedicated to recognizing good modem players,
who play on the internet. Note: US players only mentioned here... for now.

[Zer0]:Hey, it's me?  what can I say?  I kick ass  ;)
[Novak]:This guy is really tough...he is a fantastic pattern
runner.
[The_Brain]:He is a good, aggressive player...can rack up a bunch of
frags if you don't keep tabs on him.
[Shostakov]:This guy is a potshot.  He is really aggressive too.  
Similar playing style to The_Brain, though Shostakov is better.
[^Dragon^]:A good player, and a friend of mine...He is a sneaky bum,
and you have to keep a sharp eye out for him.  He will attempt to
surprise you if he can.  
[Mynx]:The only girl on the servers, and a damn good one at that...she
is tough, though I don't know exactly how good she is, because she is
always teamed up with someone whenever I see her...
[RIP]:He is a decent player, and he makes the servers a bit more
challenging. He is getting good very quick.
[Gooseman]:A good player with a taste for missiles...Expect gibs galore
if you are on a server with him.  I haven't played him enough yet to 
give a strategy.
[SwanSong]:Another good all around player, he is fun to frag, and
occasionally he beats me.
[RomeovioD]:I had to include him just because he is the only quake
player with an ego bigger than mine.  If you are reading this (which you
probably aren't, cause you are already the best darn 28.8 deathmatcher
out there, right? ;P ), I am still looking to play you.
[Kill-9]:Good player, very good on Zigguruat Vertigo.

[13-8] Teams
======
     As of right now, there are 2 main teams, the DSoC and the U|A.  My
team is the DSoC(which I founded to put the U|A in it's place :) ).

DSoC: A team devoted to frags, frags and more frags.  We impose no
rules or restrictions on our players.  You may join or quit freely, as 
long as you are not a member of the U|A.  We will periodically try and 
get 16 player games together, 8 of our best and 8 of U|A's best.
     Founded by: Zer0, ^Dragon^.
For more info: Right now, just on IRC.  I am working on a page though,
and it should be ready for the world soon.  Look for the url in a newer
version this text.

U|A: Another frag minded team.  They have thier own various rules, and
since I am not a member, I don't know them.  However, I do have thier
Web page, If you are interested and want more info. 
     Founded by:Robs, The_Brain, Kill-9, LorD.
For more info, see http://www.gti.net/rob/alliance.htm.  It's not up 
yet, but it will be in a few weeks.

[13-9] Reach out and frag someone
======
     Right now, the best source of info is Undernet/EFnet IRC.  I
recommend Undernet, because the channel operators on EFnet tend to
be jerks, but there are a few helpful people over there.  If you want to
contact me specifically, I am usually on Undernet #quake around 9-11
PST.  I will be happy to answer any questions or comments you have
about this guide.  If you do not use IRC, send questions or comments to
the creator of this FAQ, and he will pass them on to me in IRC.

[13-10] Outro
=======
     This version of Zer0's guide to excellent Quakematch is to be
distributed only with the Unofficial Quake FAQ.  I plan on updating the
player list as well as providing strategy for each person on the list,
adding to my config as necessary, updating the teams section, doing
guides for all of the new levels, and adding the Lightning Gun to the
weapons list.